1970 510 headlight issues

realdiehl

When i purchased my 510 the headlights did not work at all. I found a relay in the engine compartment that had no wires attached to it but did have wires nearby that had the right connectors to attach to it so i hooked them up and all 4 headlights came at the same time with the headlights on bright but if i turn the headlights on dim i dont have any headlights. I believe the first picture is the headlight relay but the relay that im wondering about is the one in the second picture.this is the relay that didnt have any wires attached to it until i hooked up the wires that were nearby. This relay was sitting down by the horn. Did i possibly put the wires in the wrong position on the relay to make all 4 lights come on with no low beam. I did try and put them on the relay in a few different positions thou but all 4 lights still came on with no low beams. E1208085-0AB6-48F5-BDE8-495058590AC4-607-000001813370ED79_zps4725ff5c.jpg. EF6746D5-7F7C-4F07-A1BB-CDD4FD80053A-607-0000018128BB8850_zps64c4f0c9.jpg.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the relay down by the horn on the driver side is used to switch between the 2 sets of points in the distributor. It was an emission thing - under certain conditions it would switch to the second set of points that were clocked in way so it could change the ignition timing.

Edit - here is the wiring diagram for ignition. it looks like the relay for the ignition is switched by a throttle switch and 4th gear switch.

DatsunIgnitionWiring_zps04dcaefb.jpg

the 2nd photo is the 2nd set of points switch as D52E has pitured. You can get rid of that at a later time.

the first photo is the headlight relay.

so if you pull the switch all the way out and you have no headlamps. but you pull the turn sig arm back and you get all 4 lamps on . This usually means the lower lamp contacks are corroded..

the later 510ss had 2 types of relays that I have seen. One as you have!!! where the wires are attacched to the relay . and the other the wires just go to a square connector to the back of strut housing and just relay plugs in.

WITH LIGHT SWITCH OFF!!!!!!!!

just to make sure the lamps are stock wire set up get a made in China test light for about 2.99 to 5$. Take the alligator end and clip to the chassis ground. Now take the pointy end and place it behind the lamp 3 connectors(outer lamp). the test lamp should be lite up on all 3 connections. I would call your wires to the lamps OK.

so to me your not getting the ground to complete the circut. it has to go thru the relay to the switch you pull in the dash and go to ground.

I dont know if there is a ground wire by the hood release . soembody told me this but not positive.

also a ground by the volt regulator on the pass side strut tower.

Eric 510 had this same proplem I found a spare relay as he had just the relay type system(he had this same proplem). and his lights worked. So he went home took the old relay and sanded the contacks and everything was fine

key is having a wire diagram or know how a switch works..

on a 510 the Low beams the switch is NOT ENERGIZED. the LOW bEAM contanks it acts as just a pass thru. then when you hit the HIGH BEAM it uses the other contacks and put a double ground on ALL the lights. then when it goes back to LOW BEAM the contacks wear on the moslty used contacks and then corrode.