Pilot bushing install

ptown green

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, you can. They are cheap and it's easy to do.

32202-30000 about $5 at the Nissan dealer, much less elsewhere.

To remove, I use a small chisel or large screwdriver blade. Hammer it down lengthwise in 2 or 3 places to split it and fish out the pieces. Pilot bushings are made of sintered bronze. Sintering is a process where powdered metal is forced under extreme pressure into a mold and then heated to lightly 'melt' the particles together to hold it's shape. Being made of fine particles it's 'porous' and is soaked in oil to provide permanent lubrication. Bronze pilot bushings are quite 'soft'.

Get a bar of soft soap like ivory and pack the recess in the pilot bushing hole. Fill it up level. Get a tight, or very close to tight fitting wooden dowel that fits the hole. Drive it in with a hammer and the bushing will be forced out by hydraulic pressure. I prefer axle grease so it sprays all over you and gets your shirt, face and hands dirty, but that's just me.

Alternatively, there is a puller you can buy or rent but it's a tool not used much.

Carefully start the new bushing into the crank and finish pounding it in by covering with a soft piece of wood. Do not lubricate!!! It will only collect clutch disc material which is abrasive and will wear it out.

Flush is fine. It's impossible to damage the thrust bearing by installing one.

Oh alright thanks! So you dont think its the culprit of my bearing turning? It looks like the crank was being pushed forward, binding up the main thrust bearing and keeping the rings from seating in the cylenders. I put just the crank onto the output shaft and the pilot bushing stops the crank from going on any further than where the output shaft tapers up slightly. Which if the pilot bushing were further in the crank, it would be able to slide on further.

K well I got a timing cover. Got both oil holes plugged and was making 60 psi for oil pressure. I was breaking in the engine and noticeing the exhaust was a little more smokey then I'm used to but I was just letting it burn off. Then I notice the rpms falling and the enging bogging down so I shut it off. Then it wouldn't fucking turn over! I couldn't do it manually by the crank bolt either. It was seized up!!! So today I tore it all apart and The thrust bearing was turned. Looked like it wasn't getting any oil. All black under it with chunks of bearing material baked to the crank. There was also way too much oil in the cylenders. Too much for even breaking in the rings. So Im pretty sure I know what happened. I don't think the pilot bushing is far enough in which is pushing the crank forward in the block and seizing up against the thrust bearing, turning it, blocking the oiler hole and also keeping the riings from seating due to the crank not being able to float at all. So once again with this cursed car, FMMFL.

Anyway, when you install your pilot bushing do you knock it in all the way in or leave it flush?

Thats from my build thread.

Oh alright thanks! So you dont think its the culprit of my bearing turning? It looks like the crank was being pushed forward, binding up the main thrust bearing and keeping the rings from seating in the cylenders. I put just the crank onto the output shaft and the pilot bushing stops the crank from going on any further than where the output shaft tapers up slightly. Which if the pilot bushing were further in the crank, it would be able to slide on further.

If it was sticking out the tranny would push it in further when bolted up. Besides the thrust bearing supports all the forward thrust used to work your clutch. That's 800 to 1,400 pounds!!!! It can handle it.

If the bearing fried then, it was starved for oil. Maybe wrong clearance. Bearing shell put in wrong? Oil hole covered?

If it was sticking out the tranny would push it in further when bolted up. Besides the thrust bearing supports all the forward thrust used to work your clutch. That's 800 to 1,400 pounds!!!! It can handle it.

If the bearing fried then, it was starved for oil. Maybe wrong clearance. Bearing shell put in wrong? Oil hole covered?

hmmmm. Okay thank you! I Used bearings that the machine shop gave me after they turned the crank so I didnt even check.