introduce myself

been lurking for a few months now... wanted to actually introduce myself.

Had 510 sedan when i was a teenager back about 1988. cost $300 i think. LOVED IT. My older brother also had one ($400 for his) and he loved his. its the only kind of car that we BOTH have owned, that we have in common. So, since we both do a lot of track time in our cars, we figured it would be fun if we both had 510 track cars.. now that we are old and shit.

So, i picked up a retired 1970 510 sedan ITC car locally and my brother picked up a clean, nice, streetable, track (not race) 1972 510 sedan.

first track weekend in our 510 is coming up next weekend at T-Hill. I also picked up a '71 510 goon last month. And a '73 610 goon yesterday. And a wonderful new datsun friend i met has a agreed to donate or sell ridiculously cheap another '74 610 goon to build into CHUMP / endurance race car.

Besides my datsuns, i also have a 74 Porsche 914-6 conversion.. 3 liter, about 260hp or so, 2300 lbs. Purpose build track car, but its streetable, i drive it to work now and then. Fun. and a couple family / tow vehicles,you know, the stuff we drive when we have to go far!!

i am an avid track enthusiest, do about 20 track days per year at T-Hill, Infineon and LAguna Seca. Had a SPEC E30 (1990 BMW E30, built for spec class) that i built for a track car (did not race) prior to this, as well as 2008 Porsche Cayman S (which i sold to buy the Datsuns!).... have never raced other than Chump / Lemons.. wife won't let me!

I am in norcal, trying desperatly to get my 510 goon finished up as a nice little rat-cruiser (its a L16 Auto) just for ice cream runs in the neighborhood.. and then make my 610 goon a little vintage sport wagon. and get that other 610 goon built to race for next season!! so many parts needed, so little time!!

Ok, enough.. here are a few pics. I don't have all the cars together because the 914 is at my pops house about 5 miles away (i let him have it, he LOVES driving it), my 510 sedan is in shop getting some work done prior to track day, my '73 610 was just bought and my brother picked it up today and its at his house, .. the only thing i have at my house today is the 510 goon... but still photos of everything attached, just not all together yet.. not until OCT 13 weekend, i will have EVERYTHING here for photo op!

the 510 sedan and my 914 in my driveway

2eb6e161.jpg

my 510 goon this afternoon in my driveway with freshly spray painted steelies and new whitewalls... waiting to be lowerd and get some seat brackets so i can have seats!!

002ee184.jpg

06f08151.jpg

the SUPER STOCK vintage '73 610 goon in my brothers driveway after 1 1/2+ hour drive in 100+ degree heat, and he said it was "glorious". I can't wait to get this thing in my driveway

bfc3f757.jpg

finally, the future racecar '74 610 i HOPE to pick up and bring home in the next couple weeks.

37904aff.jpg

sorry for the long winded post.. just my style, i know it pisses some internet people off.. sorry.. and sorry for all the stupid questions i will be asking.. i have a lot to learn. I am more of a driver than a mechanic, so working on these cars is painfully slow learning process for me!!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing wrong with ths post at all. Perfect introduction! You've got a nice collection. All I ask is don't buy mint dattos and turn them into race cars. They get all busted up for no good reason. Plenty of no title or forgotten projects out there, ya know? I hate seeing that.

I like the fact that you traded your Porsche for a bunch of old dattos. Welcome aboard!

The goons need lower.

YES amen. agree 110% the red one will be lowered SOON (next month?).. was actually just searching and reading all the options tonight. Probably will try flipping that last leaf and try 1 1/2 inch blocks? for front, i already have some homemade coilovers coming off the sedan (ZX setup going on there next month) that i will use on the red goon to lower the front. Not sure, might end up too low , i don't like too low. i don't want driveshaft banging and i don't actualy like the look too low. But definitlley coming down. I hope 2" will give it better look but not cause any problems. The beige 610, i will see once i get it here what to do. Probably also drop that an inch or so, but instead of ghetto looking spraypainted steelies like the 510, will more likely go for a sporty / performance look since the 610 has really nice sporty lines IMO. So will try to get some cool wheels, whatever.. we'll see.