Want to swap my engine...

Jdm720

I wanna swap my engine later this year or earlier next year.. I simply want MORE POWER.

I don't really have the time for an extensive build, I basically want to just swap an engine in, you know..?

Soo I did a brief search in the 720 section, and a quick google search...

First I was leaning towards a V6, but I'm getting the impression that this may be a bit more time consuming than my schedule (maybe even my patience) would allow for..

I then discovered it appears that a KA24DE may be a swap with minor mods, and I'd be able to use my same transmission.. Also, these engines aren't too pricey.

My question is, aside from the transmission, would everything else line up..?

If not, what would I have to do..?

I know I need the engine, harness, ecu.. Mounts..?

Or maybe there's another engine someone can recommend.. Possibly an easy V6 swap..?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not just swap your cylinder head?

Or look for an easier to find, easier to do, cheaper alternative to the KA24DE?

KA24E. Single slammer.

As for a V6, VG30E.

But then again, anything is possible with time, money, and a welder.

Do work.

Your search didn't seem to yield many results.

Add "Ratsun" to your search and read on.

sick... KA on a Z series...

Is the LZ build worth it? I am also on the fence about a swap. But I am thinking SBC or 302 ford.

I am turning 33's right now, with plans to go to 36's. So torque is a must. Whats the numbers on the LZ build?

I know the one guy... think DatszenMike did one, and he said it is torque'y but how much, compared to say a SOHC KA? which way should one lean for the off road capabilty?

KA over LZ since you need power to move big tires.

VG may be more for you if you want to keep it Nissan.

If not concerned about keeping it Nissan-get what you can that will fit.

Whether a Buick V6, SBC, 302, whatever.

Your truck. Your money.

Just finish it.

That's all that matters.

4x4? 36s? I'd V6 it. To keep weight down get a 2wd D21 truck VG30 and 5 speed. The 720 has a divorced trans case so leave all the 4x4 stuff alone and slide it in. Adjust driveshaft length to fit. The big problem will be oil pan clearance over your front differential. I suppose a 'Yoda SAS would solve that and give better off road clearance ... maybe you've already done this to get 33s on it?

The VG has about the same hp as the DE 4 cylinder but monster torque at low RPMs.

@flatcat- finishing it is the easy part for me, hard part is finding the motor that i want to put in there. If i am doing EFI then i think the VG would be the way id lean.

I was thinking the SBC cause of the ease of not having to deal with a ECU and all, that part is what worries me a little. Never dealt with it, and am wondering the difficulty of wiring it in?

Do i have to splice it into my truck? or just run that harness for the motor to its ECU?

@datzenmike- there is no clearance issues :) already did a SAS with a D44 out of a Wagoneer. Already measured and with some mods, could easily slip a v8 in there. Dont need a lot of HP but cant live without torque. Dont care how fast i go, but getting to the speed limit first, is always fun!!

Anyone have a 2WD D21 for sale?? lol...

My apologies, I meant to type in KA24E..

As for the v6, I've no full shop in my garage, as in lack of crucial tools like a welder.. And not enough hours in my days.. Might not be practical, yet.

How much easier is this KA24E you speak of...?

strongly urge you not to start this type of modification if you do not have a welder/friend with welder/access to a welder. There isnt a drop in motor that is just going to line up and bolt in using the same mounts and everything. I would just study up and until your ready, dont start. but be sure to state that on here. some people get offended, and upset at the number of people that start a serious mod like this and do not finish.

I finish whatever I start...

I was hoping somebody would have some answers in regards to the KA24E.. So far I'm seeing that may be the quickest route, I don't wanna down my truck for too long..

Or maybe swapping the cylinder head, what was done to accommodate the KA on that Z24..?

This is still in the research phase

Sr20det maan

Ok for 2wd light truck on the street. Useless on 4x4 that's hauling 3,600 pounds around on 33" tires.

I finish whatever I start...

I was hoping somebody would have some answers in regards to the KA24E.. So far I'm seeing that may be the quickest route, I don't wanna down my truck for too long..

Or maybe swapping the cylinder head, what was done to accommodate the KA on that Z24..?

This is still in the research phase

See HRH's thread on this.

KA is a close to bolt in affair. Whether E or DE.

Keep reading.

A CAN/AM box will help in getting the thing running.

Icehouse sells it-and his thread is pinned to the top of the parts for sale section.

No matter which way you roll, you will need to be armed with knowledge.

Don't stop reading until you are waking up reciting instructions in your sleep.

This will make the swap go much easier.

I second to reading HRH's thread, for two factors.

One for the KAZ head swap.

Two, because he put a Z block into a Hardbody. Reverse the procedure to put a KA where a Z block use to be.

Also follow Icehouse's KA24E to 620 thread in the How-To section.

This will give you a good basis of what all will be involved.

Get some!

See HRH's thread on this.

A CAN/AM box will help in getting the thing running.

Icehouse sells it-and his thread is pinned to the top of the parts for sale section.

I second to reading HRH's thread, for two factors.

One for the KAZ head swap.

Two, because he put a Z block into a Hardbody. Reverse the procedure to put a KA where a Z block use to be.

Also follow Icehouse's KA24E to 620 thread in the How-To section.

This will give you a good basis of what all will be involved.

Get some!

I'll check these out...

I saw that KA24E to 620 thread just yesterday, and am now following it..

Taking notes ;)

What he did was run a Z24 block in place of a KA block. Swapping heads alone won't work. A KA head on a Z24 will produce a compression of 7.47 and here's why. The KA uses a larger chamber head and almost flattop pistons. To use the KA head you would need KA pistons in your Z24 motor...... and weld up an oil drain back hole in the KA head that will open into the water jacket of the Z24 block...... and.......

A good read for info on Z24/KA24 motors... http://community.ratsun.net/topic/25243-kaz24-build-thread-compression-questions-cam-header-done/