SX struts

BigBopper805

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A '70 would have to be a 510 but as for sx there's S10, S110, S12, S13, S14.... all are 200 or 240 SX struts. Some are even 5 wheel stud.

Big Bopper you need to do some more research and reading on this. There are lots of struts that will bolt to your goon but depends what YOU want. Lower? Larger brakes??

BigBopper - I'm in the process of upgrading the struts on my '72 4-door. From the reading I've done here on Ratsun, it seems 280ZX (not 280Z) struts and brakes is the way to go, if you can find some. This post: http://community.rat...1-280zx-struts/ explains pretty well, and datzenmike has a great set of pics of cutting off the lower spring perch. Then you can use coilovers or your original 510 springs, cut down a little (what I plan to do), or I suppose you can leave them stock height.

As far as I can tell, most SX struts aren't a good way to go for various reasons.

As to price, I just got back from Pull & Save in Spokane WA where I grabbed a pair of 280 ZX struts with brakes. I paid $72 + $6.26 state sales tax total. That is for 2 struts, 2 brake rotors & hubs, and 2 calipers. Of course I had to remove them myself, but that was fun and exciting. I don't know if your $150 price is each or a pair, and if it includes brakes. Using the large ZX brakes is one of the advantages of swapping struts. The struts are HEAVY, if you wondered about buying some out of your area and having them shipped. I put one strut with rotor and caliper on the bathroom scale and got approx. 55 pounds.

If you upgrade your front brakes to ZX calipers, it sounds like using a 280Z (not ZX) master cylinder is desirable, although maybe not required.

Len

• Like 1