1980 510 auto to manual questions

jalen

My friend bought a '80 510 that has the three speed auto.and we were curious on what exactly he would need to do a 5 speed. And are the 5 speeds only in the 720's and stanzas? And I read while doing research that a l series tranny won't bolt up because it tilts 12 degrees. Is this correct?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The '80 510 had a 5 speed option so just find one and swap everything in and it will fit better than mixing and matching parts.

The L series motors sit about 12 degrees off vertical to the right. The Z series is almost an equal amount to the left. The angular difference between them is closer to 22 degrees. You can't mate an L transmission to a Z motor as the rubber mounts will be twisted around this 22 degree difference.

Havnt seen a lot of of '80 510 5 speeds. But there are a few trucks at the junkyard which is why Im asking

Well you're going to need the peddles for a 510... a 4 speed set will work. Clutch master and slave, hard and flex line. A 200mm or 225mm flywheel... L or Z will work here.

edit: Find an '80-'81 dogleg 5 speed from another HL510 for the transmission while there get the peddles. and driveshaft.

IB4 abandoned trans swap

^^ , :rofl: :rofl:, ^^

There`s no place to bolt the clutch pedal under dash,, it`s not like the older cars,, you will have to find a pedal bracket from a manual car ( kinda hard to find anymore ) then take the old bracket out and install it in your car..I only know because me and my son just did it on his 79 510...The factory probably deleted the extra part of the bracket , that held the clutch pedal,, to save a few cent`s per car.

You might try measuring 210-310 cars for them as they are almost the same size ,, kinda.

• 2 weeks later...

Beats me i'm an L motor guy myself,, but the 79 and the 78 wagons my son has are front sump cars ,, from the factory... and i think the napz engine is taller so actually fitting the Ka should potentially be easier , than an older 510..

but i really dont know

How hard would it be to swap in a ka24de? Be the same as putting one in a older 510?

Well assuming it's a 5 speed you would still have all the auto to manual swap problems... peddles, master, slave, transmission mount,..... plus KA motor mounting, oil pan/cross member fitting, high pressure fuel pump for the KA's EFI, fitting the much longer KA tranny, tranny mount, shortening the drive shaft, wiring the EFI and ecu in, exhaust, larger rad, converting the speed sensor to work the speedometer, relocating the shifter hle in tunnel...........>>>>>

• 3 weeks later...

Ended up buying the 510 from my friend. So since its a front sumo and ka single cam is a front sump can't I find a 5 speed z20/24 tranny bolt it to the ka and drop it in with out having to flip the cross member? Because I feel Like this would be a cheap swap get ne some HP and a Turbo motor to drift it.

You'll have to do a LOT more than "flip the crossmember". You can't flip the crossmember on a A10, the bolts aren't parallel. But the one positive is that the Automatic A10 uses a longer transmission than the manual A10, so perhaps a longtail 71B 5-speed will fit anyway. Shifter hole will need to be extended, though.

BTW I have the manual pedal bracket assembly. Came out of a '81 Wagon.

Ended up buying the 510 from my friend. So since its a front sumo and ka single cam is a front sump can't I find a 5 speed z20/24 tranny bolt it to the ka and drop it in with out having to flip the cross member? Because I feel Like this would be a cheap swap get ne some HP and a Turbo motor to drift it.

..... lord.