I Need Some Help! Windows!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What everyone else has said. If they aren't working manually, power conversion kits aren't going to help.

This is one of those jobs that can't really be explained one dimensionally I.e. only in writing. It really needs pics to help explain the various steps.

Whilst not an overly difficult task, pulling apart doors has a few little tricks which can make the job easier.

Best thing to do is grab the following tools.

8 mm spanner

10 mm spanner

No 2 Phillips head screwdriver

Very small flat blade screwdriver

Trim removing tool

A small pair of needle nosed pliers (for any trim clips which may remain stuck in the door panel)

A plastic or wooden wedge (helps to remove trim at the window aperture without scratching anything)

Razor blade or Stanley knife (to cut the plastic beneath the door trim if it's still there)

Door handle tool to remove spring clip

Now you have all these tools (I think I've covered everything) put aside a couple of hours.

Park the car on a nice level surface, make yourself comfortable in front of the door trim. I usually find a milk crate makes the ideal stool for this job.

Start by removing the door pull handle using the small flat blade to flip out the screw covers, undo Phillips head screws and remove handle. Use door handle tool to remove spring clips on window winder and door opener. If you don't have the special tool to do this, the small flat blade screwdriver will work.

Once all the handles are off, carefully use the trim removal tool to pop the trim clips out of the door frame. Take your time here and don't go rip shit tear bust as you'll just stuff your door card. If you don't have a trim removal tool, a large flat blade screwdriver can be used, remember, slowly and gently !

You now should have the door workings exposed.

I need to go and do some shit now and will post some pics later today (our time) of some more of this Exciting process.

• Like 1

Ok, nothing much to add at this stage apart from a photo of a door with the door card removed and one of the side of the door.

The brown door has had the window removed.

If you have a look you can see the door lock actuator roughly in the middle of the door, and towards the top left, the window winder.

cc3ab57feffbbc2c83ec5dc7f8ced99b.jpg

Assuming from your post, the window is moving part way?

First thing to check is to see if there is any debris stopping the window actuator from moving it fully vertical/horizontal.

Secondly, have a look on the right side of the door where the lock mechanism is.

There is a piece of u channel inside the door which works as a guide for the glass when it is lowered. Sometimes, the screws for this guide can become loose, or even fall out, causing the guide to stop the window fully opening. Other problems are caused by the material lining the guide to become dislodged and subsequently, though not always, jamming the window.

If you look at the side of the door (per below pic ) you'll see two larger Phillips head screws, one above, and one below the door lock.

You can undo these and remove the guide if you want to check it. I would try this, and if it doesn't solve your problem, screw it back in and when I get time I'll post some more tips.

f0a77e129b1183e9fbda4bb2b340cfcd.jpg