I'm back to trucking

converted_to_datsun

My 620 has been down for a couple months but I'm getting it back on the road this weekend. For complicated stupid reasons it is comming out of the garage and back on the road. I'm putting a new third member in and back to using it for my long daily drive again. I was without Internet for a couple months but now I'm back and back to my long bed. I know no ratsun member personally but I live in the Portland area so any tips for parts or just talkin about datsuns would be cool.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure about parts, but theres a guy in vancouver that has a little shop off of 99th street in hazel dell, its technically his garage but he's been workin on datsuns for over 40 years if i remember correctly. M.B. Anderson & co. is the name of his shop. doesnt charge out the ass, does good work, and knows his shit to the point of it being scary. buddy of mine took a 280z to him that was having alternator/charging problems and nobody else had a clue what was wrong, he had just replaced the alternator with one that the computers at a auto shop said would work. he explained what was going on and didnt even get it off the trailer before the guy popped the hood, leaned in and looked at the alternator, laughed, went into his shop and came out with a new alternator and a few tools, pulled the one my buddy had just put on off, popped on the new one and said there ya go. some idiot sold you an externally regulated alt and you needed an internally regulated one. apparantly the only difference is one number in the part number, guy had the part numbers memorized. didnt even charge him just said a straight swap of the alts was fair enough.

Thanks for the info! If I get really stuck maybe I'll look him up. I have a mechanic buddy who has been working on datsuns for 10 years so I have some help here and there. But like a typical ratsuner my budget is laughable so I do all my own work with my budy stopping in for the occasional what are you doing stupid pointers. I mainly just wanna meet some members I guess. People who see what I see when I look at a rusty old Datto haha

i hear ya there. thats why i have a 300 buck z to fuck with so when something goes wrong with the one i DD i can fuck up the 300 buck one instead of my driver lol. unfortunately most of the parts places i know are for z cars. but i know if you check craigslist you can find parts all over the place.

F**ing hard line is leaking on the rear break at a compression fitting. I tried to take it off when I pulled the axles to put the diff in and couldn't get it more than a turn then couldn't get it tight again. And it's rounded now f*** me. So I have no rear breaks till I fix it and I have to drive 30 miles to work and back tomorrow

Well emptied a can of freeze off and still no luck. The fitting is smashed and deformed to hell and no matter how I try it won't come free. Got a flare nut wrench so I can do it right from now on but not sure it would have helped. Might be back in the junk yard tomorrow getting another part to replace. It's where the rubber line comes down to the rear end ant t's for each side. And the passenger side is not gonna come out. So gonna try to pick up the whole assembly so hopefully less chance of leaks

Ended up replaceing all the hard lines on the rear axle and used a break line wrench this time haha that is an awesome tool to have. Bled all the air out of the lines and went for a drive. I don't think It's ever stopped that good sinc I've had it. Went to the store and got made fun of by an old dude with a 60's mustang for locking my door cause nobody is gonna steal it haha. I told him that there's a bunch of us datsun lovers so there's gotta be someone that would steal it.

Well im local to you. I could come over some time. I get Sundays and Tuesdays off.

Sounds cool dude. I'm in Sherwood right now. Just read you goon thread and you've done a heck of allot of work on that thing. It'd be cool to see that thing. I could probably learn a thing or 2. Right now I'm the only Datsun guy around haha all my friends drive newer cars

Tomorrow I'm going to dive into the smog delete mess. But I'm thinking about adjusting my valves while I'm motivated. I've never done valves before but I've watched a video so I have an idea of what I'm doing. I figure it's one more thing to check off my list haha. Any advice or input is welcome. Watching a video makes me no pro but you gotta start somewhere

Did a clean on the engine and looks better now except a broken bolt I uncovered and an oil leak that seems to be commin from the timing cover? Small right behind the distributer... Oh and broken bolt is on the timing chain inspection plate. Then did a little smog delete stuff. Working on the exhaust manifold. Got one of the old fittings off and found a brass plug that was a perfect fit 3/8 brass flare plug. And took off my manual choke kit and correctly installed my electric choke with helpfull input from mike.

Here's a few oic's to keep you guys happy lol

Dirty engine

DSC_0242.jpg

Clean engine

A1AFA6AE-3CD7-4BBB-97C7-BF231B2749D6-593-000000C71BD1471A_zpsaebeb5d1.jpg

Brass plug and old fitting

B6B95FD2-6AEF-4EE1-8439-74090654CBAA-1315-000001B7BAB9B392_zps503e339c.jpg

And nobody cares but here's the choke back on

30D0C064-D039-48ED-B1C4-20DE92CDD4AE-1315-000001ADA0ACF7AE_zps2c868967.jpg