Is a 80's maxima wagon and a 80' zx same suspension

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/46649-stance/

The '81-'84 Maxima is built on the zx platform and shares many of the suspension parts. They are not identical, but very similar, using a massive caliper and vented rotor with a 15/16" master cylinder. Likely they are cheaper just because they are NOT zx struts which command a higher price.

I have them on a 710 goon.

710strutupgrade004Large.jpg

NO. But the Maxima is based on the zx platform with huge front calipers/vented rotors, rear disc brakes, the same 15/16" master cylinder, IRS, R-180 diff, 71B 4 or 5 speeds and inline six engine. The calipers are different and the rotor is like a 1/16" smaller diameter than the zx. Just enough so that the Maxima can't say it shares zx brakes. GM did this with the Corvette engine used in some other SSR concept truck... thing... they detuned it a few hp so that it not cheapen or compete with the Corvette line.

I have a set of '84 goon struts with zx 15/16" master on my 710 goon and love them.

Max goon and 710 goon struts

1TBexternalharddrive004Large.jpg

It's a 83 maxima wagon. Vented rotars, rear wheel drive, straight six.

It all looks like zx stuff but I want to be sure before I buy.

In trying to bring my front wheels closer in do I can get some better suspension, brakes, and some wheel tuck.

Will this shit work. I remember Datsun mike using maxima stuff in place of zx stuff.

So it's looking really good, the wheel will come in at least a full inch on each side.

So far I have only found 1 snag in the whole deal. The balljoint housing ring is way smaller on the 510 from this maxima strut.

C6ADFD94-BBBE-4CD1-8F79-5D6A13A0F026-3625-0000034B2B1A4FC0.jpg

16893781-4293-4998-AC58-93935135AB3B-3625-0000034AF0F6161B.jpg

B22F69CC-993B-47D2-B143-4067BB2B1749-3625-0000034AF57DE9F1.jpg

7B472025-FFE6-48C3-8588-C3D275BC67CB-3625-0000034AF95A1064.jpg

I pulled the arm off of a spare 510 strut I have and I can't just swap arms, the maxima in so big so it won't press in.

So... H5wagon thinks I should get a little spacer ring made to fill in the gap. Sounds good to me, watcha guys think?

And you know what I think I have all 1971 struts on It right now with a 510 strut coilover set up.

So maybe it won't be a issue on install. But I think I'll still get those little steel ring spacers made just to be sure I won't have any problems.

And the bolt pattern is exact, just that metal seal where the strut stamps into the balljoint is a different size

And I hbe a spare enkie 92 rim and their is absolutely no clearance issues at all, and it's deffenatly going to bring the front wheels in about 1 1/16" on each side.

All the parts where only 80$ and the pads look really good and calipers seem perfect and the rotors just have a little surface rust on them.

Overall I think it was a good score

Well when I got mine, I waited about 5 years. It was a goon in a wrecking yard and when they go up on the pile they're ready for the portable crusher I can help myself. At the time I had only a truck but I could see that these would be worth something. I had an arrangement with the owner that I could glean parts off the pile for a few bucks or some beer. So I pulled them and some other stuff and saved them for 3-4 years. Hey, I didn't know I would eventually end up with a 710... but when I did I remembered these struts and pulled them out and..... Hmmmm.