Help identifying: 69 or 70?

Albright

I bought a 510 about a month ago, but I don't know what to say to people when they ask what year it is.

My door jam says 10/69, but it is titled as a 70.

???

I know they had some changes between the two years...

Thanks for your answers!

(forgive the newb sauce I am spreading everywhere)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe in the car world that after September it becomes the next years model. So althought the jam says 10/69 that just means its the second month of 1970. There are also talks about back in the day they would title a car based on what year it was first sold/registered. So it could be a 69 car but he flvery first owner didn't get it to title it until sometime in 1970.

It would really help to see some pictures so we could identify it. There were visual changes between those two years. I suspect it's going to be a little harder to identify as well as it may have a mixture of those two different years parts. They did that a lot right around the 69/70 timeframe.

Pictures would be needed to really go any further though.

Thanks for the help gents!

@ Hobbes- I love the color as well! It will need repainted at some point, but I plan on keeping the same color.

@ Yenpit- I am super happy to finally own one of these, and one in pretty good shape at that. Very little rust, clean title, lots of extra parts (though I have found a couple missing parts), exrta wheels, engine, engine head... the list goes on.

And all for a descent price too. Need to do some troubleshooting on the starter system though. Can turn the switch and get dashlights, but doesn't turn over. Will start if I connect terminals at starter with a screwdriver.

Sometime the mechanical part of the switch will wear out and not turn the electronic part of the switch enough to make contact, I have had that happen a couple times. Try pulling the electronic part of the switch out of the back (I think there is only 1 or 2 screws holding it in) and turn it with a screw driver. If that doesn't work the electronic part may be bad.

'69 had the 'arrow' style front marker lights on the front fenders, '70 were rectangular... course the fenders could have been swapped. Rear red markers are round on the '69, there were none on the '68 and the '70 were like the front but red.