New member, possibly new truck help in purchasing a 620 4x4

.blackgt.

Hi guys and girls. Just moved from CT to Florida and have a good idea of whats sitting right next to my dads house.

After searching for quite a while, I came to the conclusion that just 2 blocks over is a 620 4x4.

Looks to be in rough shape, but most of them do. (no offence)

I am looking for a project and I figured something like this would be perfect for what I want.

Considering I have an awd subaru, I dont really need a "fast" truck. Just looking for a vehicle to add maybe a rat rod style to while keeping it decent looking.

As for off roadability, what are these 4x4's capable of doing? Hopefully the engine is strong enough to do a light amount of sand driving. Nothing crazy. I'll be building an early 80's jeep as my next project, so I don't really want to modify the axles on this truck.

As I said, its a 4x4 from the factory and just looks cool to me. Off white in color, not sure what those are called yet, but will do my best to get pictures this week.

Are there tell tale signs of RUN AWAY NOW, or are most 620's scary looking?

As for pricing, what do you guys think for a ballpark? 1-I'm not sure if it runs 2-Its on the rougher side shape wise

Thanks guys.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the positive feedback on the situation. When I say it is on the rougher side, its simple stuff like a fender and hood. Definitely salvageable with minimal work.

I am worried more about the 4x4 system itself. Is it considered weak?

I am hoping to take it home for 500 to 1000, but I don't want to insult anyone with a low offer.

Is there a huge price difference between the 2wd and 4x4, or is it mainly just availability preventing people from grabbing the 4x4 versions?

It really depends on who did the conversion and how. If it is an older dealer conversion it will have a Dana 30 front axle and a Dana 20 transfer case (same as that era Jeep CJ). It could also be a body swap onto a 720 which has been done a few times that I know of, it would have the 720 IFS in that case.

If you can get some pictures it would be easier to say what you are working with.

I'll head over there today after I get out of work at 5 and take some pictures.

I will do my best to contact the owner. He may have more info for me.

So to get this straight, people swap the body onto the newer version, and call it a 620 4x4.... What engine and trans are in those? Or it is a factory package installed as a lift and different axles?

Are there any numbers available to find out how many 620 4x4's were produced each year or something?

There isn't a factory 620 4x4. They were all conversions with jeep running gear done by whoever the dealer contracted.

There is a chance someone did a conversion using 720 frame and swapping the 620 body in place of the 720 body.

There were no factory produced 620 4x4s ever. You will either find a dealer converted on or owner converted. Almost every dealer converted one that I have seen had the Dana 30/Dana 20 conversion parts with various ways of adapting the transfer case. With the user converted trucks it could be anything from the simple 720 body swap to any kind of swap you can imagine. Hence the need for pics.

Not sure anyone ever kept track of the dealer conversions as many of them were done by local 4x4 shops at the request of whatever dealer wanted 620 4x4's to sell.

Edit: What darrell said :lol:

Independent front end or solid axle? That'll tell us since the 720 4x's used the IFS, the Dana's like Red Eye mentioned aren't :)

PICS WOULD HELP!

Haha. You guys are like every other forum....

I got held up at work yesterday, so if it's not raining today when I get out, i'll go snag some pics. (Rode the motorcycle to work today & there are supposed to be isolated T-storms)

Can we make this a 4x4 picture thread in the mean time?

SOMEONE GET A PICTURE IN HERE :thumbup:

I just said it with less words. blowhard. :rofl:

:blush: I'm a pic whore too. :lol:

Mine has the Dana 30 front axle and Dana 20 transfer case with a custom aluminum adapter between the trans and t-case. I am just about to swap in a dana 44 from a Jeep Wagoneer.

IMG_2250.jpg

IMG_2280.jpg

Not sure how much lift exactly, but it has 3" lift blocks in the rear and a 2" body lift. I'll be getting rid of the rear blocks after I wrap up the front. The body lift will stay as it will allow me to clock the t-case flat without cutting up the floor.

No vids of my truck but there is alot of wheeling on my youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/l2edeye?feature=mhee

Here's one of my jeep (retired) playing in the snow by my house. :D

So I did make it over to my dads house, and rolled by the Datsun twice, but it was just too dark to take any photos. It was about 9 at night and I wasn't about to go knock on the door and wake anybody up. It's not that kind of neighborhood.

I will do my best to get over there today at a reasonable hour.

Thanks for your patience guys.

• 3 weeks later...

Well here she is in the owners driveway.

Next step is getting him to sell it. I am hoping to pick it up for 500 or less. What do you guys think?

A little rough and definitely rusted. Adds character :thumbup: I am just looking for a cool beach cruiser honestly.

u7v41.png

2ecel2e.png

Solid front axle

Hope that dripping oil isn't anything major.

11j279v.png

• Like 1