Car is running hot!

B210GX

I am in deffinate need of some tech help. I have the Delta D9 grind cam shaft, how does one figure timing? Did some searching, do I need to tear the head off this thing and get a degree wheel.... and such.

This is a brand new engine, rodded radiator. everything is new on the engine. It may be be a bit over carbed. needs to be jetted to match.

Weber 32/36, header. 2 1/4 exhaust.

Runs cool until I hit the freeway. Removed the clutch fan. installed a 6 bladed solid fan. Radiator has the factory shroud.

The car runs cool in town. If you stay out of the secondaries.

TIA

Mike

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mike

I do not have any knowledge of a D9 grind delta camshaft sorry.

Did you confirm engine temp with a seperate temp gauge ? ( just keeping in thought your original one is very old haha )

Do your spark plugs tell you that you are running rich or lean ?

Have you jetted the carb ? ( better a touch rich than a touch lean ) ,,,

Why remove clutch fan and replace with a 7 bladded solid fan ? ( If I may ask )

100% sure and tripple checked you do not have air bubbles trapped in your cooling system ?

Ohms out your coolant temp sender ? ( and check connection as well )

Thanks

yes I have added a seperate guage, 245*

as far as the the clutch fan was just making sure it was not the culprit.

Have not done anything to the carb as of yet. and have not checked the plugs. 110% sure of no air bubbles

Changed out the thermostat with another used one.. then bought a new one... still the same.

You used a rodded out radiator, I had same problem. I called local radiator shop and asked if they rodded out radiators, they told me to get a brand new radiator. They stopped rodding out radiators. Too many unsatisfied customers. :sick:

Rodding out a radiator is no guarantee you will get all the crud out and, after all the cost, you still have an old suspect radiator. It's best to invest in a new radiator.

Two years ago, for my B210, I put in a new radiator, new 180 degree thermostat, and NOW my heat gauge is always just below center regardless of 100 degree+ days or freeway driving. I also have a separate temp guage as back up. Back up guage reads 180.

I got a new radiator on RockAuto.com. I had a current discount code for 5% discount. Look in Ratsun Forums for sticky on Discount Codes for Rock Auto. One of our Datsun brothers is always posting their new codes.

As a teenager, I had the same problem with a Ford Mustang. Nothing worked until I installed a brand new radiator. You can't underestimate the heat dissipating ability of a brand new shiny radiator. :thumbup:

Yes to the rad and keep it filled with good quality anti-freeze coolant to keep it that way.

Yes to checking the plugs. Drive at a high speed with secondaries on as much as you can.for 5 min. When safe shut off and pull over. Pull and inspect the plugs. White would indicate a lean mix. This will run very hot.

I got a new radiator on RockAuto.com. I had a current discount code for 5% discount. Look in Ratsun Forums for sticky on Discount Codes for Rock Auto. One of our Datsun brothers is always posting their new codes.

Checked rock auto they did not show one on their parts list.

Fiddled witht the timing last night, adjusted the carb a bit more. It ran much cooler today. I am going to rejet the carb.

As the plugs were white.

Well I had never run this carb before. I loaned mine out. It did not return.. Imagine that. My car has been in pieces for about 5-6 years. Still not done with the interior, as I can not find the pieces.

The weber was given to me from one of my sons friends. Came off of a I6 toyota LC .. now whether he bought it for the cruiser IDK

The Lean condition is definitely an issue, but it cools fine in town you said.

Your issue may be air flow. In town you are pulling a lot of air across the radiator, however at highway speeds since you have a fixed bladed fan this may actually be obstructing air flow. The fixed bladed fan may be creating a high pressure or turbulence zone on the back side of the radiator thus reducing cooling. I have run into this with several different datsuns I owned and switching to an electric fan with a temperature sensor took care of it, as the fan is not coming on at highway speeds allowing free flow across the radiator.

Remember that at highway speeds a clutch fan is actually spinning much slower than at idle so there is little to no turbulence, or pressure to prevent the air hitting the front of the car from flowing through the radiator.

One way to test the air flow issue. Drive on the high way with your heater running full blast, if the car does not over heat then I would be looking at the air flow. Optionally if the clutch fan is still good, put it back on and see how the heating condition is on the high way.

You can use a 76 B210 radiator. There's one on RockAuto for $188 before 5% discount and shipping. Just saying, you are using a rodded out radiator (risky) with corrosion on the exterior. Have you flushed out your cooling system? Probably won't help with a rodded out, corroded radiator. Use stock fan if you still have it. Good Luck. :thumbup:

Just saying, you are using a rodded out radiator (risky) with corrosion on the exterior. Have you flushed out your cooling system? Probably won't help with a rodded out, corroded radiator. Use stock fan if you still have it.

Nicholas7620 please check your definition to the term, rodded :) it was opened up and cleaned out.

The radiator appears new outside and inside. and is flowing quite well, from my observations. bought some jets for the carb, played with them a bit. it is running cooler but not cool enough.I thinkI may have found a serious vacuum leak. but its intermittent. I was spraying some carb cleaner near the intake where it attaches to the head.. and it started to stumble, but it does not do it all the time.. WTF?