280zx front struts and brakes, bigger wheels?

Right now I have Shelby Libres on my 72 510, but I want to put on my 280zx front struts, hubs, and brakes. Will this require me to use 14" wheels? I also have rear coilovers in the back, and right now I'm tucking tire with my 13s, so anything bigger might start to rub.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on what rim; there are very few 13s that clear ZX brakes. Im not too sure about the Libres, but I know the VTO "Libres" clear ZX brakes when you trim off an ear on the calipers. Also, any of the spun aluminum racing wheels (Barts, Aero, Bassett, Diamond) in 13in will clear. I had (and still use one as a spare) a 13in Aero Racing rim on my ZX brakes with zero issues.

• Like 1

Besides 13" or 14" is only the rim size. You can get rubber for a 14" rim that is the same width and height (diameter) as what was on the 13". For example if you had

185x75R13s on your car they would be 7.28" wide and 23.93" tall

You could get....

185x65R14s that are 7.28" wide and 23.47" tall

185x70R14s that are 7,28" wide and 24.20" tall both almost identical to the 13".

You will want the same off set as you have now so the new rims are not closer or further from the body.

195X60R13s are 7.68" wide by 22.21" tall

185X55R14s are 7.48" tall by 22.23" tall

190X55R14s are 7.48" tall by 22.23" tall these should be almost exactly what you need

13x7 will fit the 280ZX strut/brakes with a slight modification to the caliper mounting bracket. In unmodified condition, the bracket just touches the wheel. If you grind the ears off bracket you will have clearance.

Area to grind off:

P1010257.JPG

Libre wheel being bench tested on a 280ZX Strut.

Retro_4_on_280ZX_Strut.JPG