Finally got to work on my Datsun, stripped the bay.

I just stripped the engine bay but it appears the paint removes just fine, but the rust is pretty stubborn. I'm using Jasco's that I got from home depot to remove the paint/rust, any recommendations? I don't want to media blast because that creates a fat mess lol. I'm doing this in my driveway, don't want to piss off any neighbors by creating a pile of sand all over my ground. I can push my car up the street and use a pneumatic air sander but is there any other way using some sort of gel?

I also have another quick question, does rust converters actually work? I understand that iron oxide requires oxygen/moisutre to work and that the rust converter creates a seal over the rust to never be used again. Although, I don't want to take my chances lol. I like to do things right the first time. Just trying to see my options from media blasting, or using a pneumatic air sander, or maybe some different solvent aka naval jelly, etc.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Paint removers remove paint, not rust. Make sure you get rid of all traces of paint remover before you start to prime or repaint.

Here is some information I put in another post.

I am working on 521 trucks, and they have had about a 10 to 15 year head start on rust that 720 trucks do not have. Here is what I have found out.

There really is no easy fast way to remove rust. There are some ways that are easier than others.

One of my favourite ways is electrolysis. It is detailed here.

http://community.rat...__electrolysis.

Electrolysis removes rust, but it can take a few weeks or longer. It has also removed paint in my experience, but I think the paint removal happens when there is surface rust under the paint, even if the paint looks good.

I have heard molasses will work, I tried it with a small bottle of grocery store type molasses, with disappointing results. I probably had the wrong type of molasses. Others have had good luck with it.

Here is a good thread on surface rust removal on the hotrodders forum.

http://www.hotrodder...aled-55679.html

and another hotrodders forum thread.

http://www.hotrodder...val-175465.html

I glanced at the article from Hot Rod Magazine. There is some good information in it, but remember, Hot Rod Magazine exists to provide an audience to advertisers, who hope you spend your money with them.

I just stripped the engine bay but it appears the paint removes just fine, but the rust is pretty stubborn. I'm using Jasco's that I got from home depot to remove the paint/rust, any recommendations? I don't want to media blast because that creates a fat mess lol. I'm doing this in my driveway, don't want to piss off any neighbors by creating a pile of sand all over my ground. I can push my car up the street and use a pneumatic air sander but is there any other way using some sort of gel?

I also have another quick question, does rust converters actually work? I understand that iron oxide requires oxygen/moisutre to work and that the rust converter creates a seal over the rust to never be used again. Although, I don't want to take my chances lol. I like to do things right the first time. Just trying to see my options from media blasting, or using a pneumatic air sander, or maybe some different solvent aka naval jelly, etc.

rust converters work, but they create hydrogen, so it is a bit of a fire hazard. farm grade molasses is slower but gets into the nooks and crannies better. i don't know how it would work in an engine bay, but it works great for soaking parts. the trick is that you have to get the "farm grade" molasses from a farm or feed store. if you look at the label phosphoric acid should be one of the ingredients. that's the stuff that gets rid of rust. i bought a 5 gallon bucket of phosphorized molasses, mixed it with 10 gallons of water in a trashcan, and that's it. soak rusted parts for a few days and the rust should fall right off with some steel wool. i use it all the time. this is just a response to the rust converter question, the engine bay sounds like a lot of work without blasting.

heres my molasses rust removal tank, real high tech!

DSCF2267.jpg

We used the cup wire wheels for removing a good portion of the rust on our floorpans, and the entire bed of our 521, and then used a paddle wheel sander on the drill afterwards to smooth it out more. I don't really recall seening deep scratches, but maybe I'm just a pussy and wasn't using enough pressure on the wire wheels ;) Either way, it worked exceptionally well for us to get the majority of the rust off of each.

Wire-cup-brush-steel-6426500.jpg

29018_1.jpg