Fluid leak from Clutch Fork?

fisch

Here we go again fellahs, another issue in my stream of issues.

So I've had oil coming out of my weep hole on the bell housing. I am just watching that presently, and keeping up on the oil. I've learned that is a sign of possibly needing to replace the main seal.

BUT now I have a new fluid to add to the mix. And I've got pics.

This shot shows the new clear fluid leaking from the clutch fork boot. It drizzles down till it joins the oil leak at the weep hole. and they drip together.

ClutchForkFluid.jpg

This is a shot of what I caught in a coffee can over 24 hours. Both fluids. No metal filings in the fluid though, clear as can be.

WeepHoleOilfluidX.jpg

So what am I dealing with with this new leak?

I should add that it seems to be driving well but that I did hear a rattling noise that seemed to be coming from the trans area when I was pulling up a steep hill in 3rd and 4th. Not a slipping or harsh grinding, but more aof a rattling. But heard nothing on mild hills and flats. Don't know if that is an indicator, or just an old truck!

Thanks for dealing with my questions so patiently y'all!

And here is a really stupid one for you. How do I check the fluid in the gearbox of my 4 speed? I see the drain plug but that's it.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The black stuff could be engine oil, in some cases tranny oil is that black (shudder) Rear seal on the crankshaft is leaking? Or the block plug in the end of the oil gallery is leaking. Check also that the rear valve cover gasket isn't leaking down onto the top of the 'bell and getting in.

The clear stuff on the arm won't be from the motor, too clean and it can't get onto the clutch arm. The front input shaft seal on the tranny may be leaking. You are sure that the slave isn't leaking? Check the clutch m/c level is it down? Wind from driving will blow it down the arm.

Stock 521 tranny, the drain is on the bottom of the pan underneath, the filler hole is on the drivers side about 1/3 way up just behind the 'bell' on the ribbed portion of the case. Remove the plug and it should be level with the opening, check by dipping and checking your finger. Is the ol a clean as the mystery fluid?

Rear seal on the crankshaft is leaking? Or the block plug in the end of the oil gallery is leaking.

Baby steps Mike! Crank shaft rear seal? Is that the same as a main seal leaking? And I am not sure where or what the block plug in the oil gallery is, have to get out my manual for that!

But would either of these things explain the fluid from the clutch fork boot? Or just the oil from the weep hole and surrounding seam?

Hey, Scott.

Check the rear of the valve cover gasket. Is it leaking down onto the top of the tranny? Or onto the starter? Easy to check and fix.

More likely it could be a rear main seal. Unfortunately there's no way to replace without removing the motor. So you would want to be darn sure.

There is an oil gallery running from front to back in line with the oil filter and sender unit. There are plugs at both ends. It's remotely possible the rear one is leaking. The motor would have to come out to check or repair it too.

The clear fluid looks like hydraulic oil from the clutch slave, and it's on the clutch arm too. Check the clutch m/c level. If not this, it could be tranny oil if it's that clean. A bad front input seal could leak down onto the clutch arm too. Tranny would have to come out to fix this.

Hopefully it's the slave or line leaking and a bad valve cover gasket. X fingers.

mike

I think I see tranny and engine oil... Not a good combo.... good luck man! But not too sure about the oils... You can tell by the texture and smell what type of oil it is.... Tranny oil is thick and smells really bad... Kind of like onions.... Regular motor oil is not so thick and it don't really smell... Clutch fluid is almost like water and smells but not so bad as the tranny oil...

Thanks guys!

Mike my first thought was that the clear stuff was fluid from the clutch slave, and though the slave feels a little moist for sure, I didn't see any drips hanging off of it. But I hadn't thought about it dripping down and blowing back to the clutch fork. What I will do is get under there and have my wife hammer on the clutch pedal and I will watch what happens. I will totally examine the starter and valve cover a bit more thoroughly.

Wouldn't that be a hoot if it were a simple matter of a new valve cover gasket and a loose fitting on the slave! Who knows, so far, every major symptom I've had turned out to be coming from a pretty small problem.

Motivated- the clear fluid has virtually no smell and is thin like brake fluid, so you are making me feel a little hopeful that the mystery fluid is not tranny fluid, but is from the slave blowing back leaking hydrolic fluid while driving it! Thanks.

Hold the phone! So I am checking the back of the valve cover to see if there is an oil leak, nope, but what do I spot? The lower heater hose is leaking into the engine bay. It runs along a ridge on the fire wall, and drips on top of... you guessed it, the bell housing, and then runs down around the clutch fork boot. (which makes it seem like it is coming from the clutch fork.) and from there goes to the weep hole where it mixes with the oil already leaking there and finally drips on my garage floor (coffee can).

So I think the mystery clear fluid has been solved. It's coolent from the lower heater hose on the fire wall.

I will try to tighten the clamp, but I am guessing I need a new lower hose.

As to the other oil issue, I am seeing no oil at the back of the valve cover, and nothing leaking around the starter. So I am guessing it is the main seal. So I will keep watching the oil level, and traveling with a coffee can.

521 heater hose B7021-B2000 long hose

B7020-B2000 S shaped to head small hose

nissanparts.cc

Buy them while they still make them.

agreed. the parts house will sell you a straight hose and tell you it will work. it will kink and not work. i dont even think the braided versions is available anymore. when i see a good one in the yard i buy it.

are you sure that noise is not from your rear end.:eek: seriously though.

the plug on the driver side of the tranny will be very very tight. fill it up until it pours out the hole.the fun part is getting the fluid in the damn hole without a pump. get 3 feet of 3/8 inch hose or similar to slip on the top of a 90 weight fluid bottle that has the pointy/cone tip. when cutting off the tip of the bottle make sure not to cut too much or too little. put one end of the 3 ft hose in the tranny fill plug hole and snake the other end up through the engine bay. stick the bottle of gear fluid upside down with the tip into the hose tightly and snug but not too tight or the cone top of the bottle will break. then hold one hand on the hose and one on the bottle and squeeze hard. if you do it right it wont leak all over your hand. it's nice to have another person holding the hose under the truck in the tranny fill hole. warm up the bottle of gear fluid to make it flow easier. i usually stick it in front of the fire and rotate a few times.

fill your rear end the same way. with the same fluid.

fisch keep those q's coming. i'll post in the project section soon with my progress pics for you to see.:D

Great info here dat521!! I prolly would have tried 10 things and failed before I tried this method.

heh, I will keep asking the basic questions for sure, if not for me, for the next guy who has never worked on his own datsun before and is too embarassed to ask the simple stuff!

agreed. the parts house will sell you a straight hose and tell you it will work. it will kink and not work. i dont even think the braided versions is available anymore. when i see a good one in the yard i buy it.

are you sure that noise is not from your rear end.:eek: seriously though.

the plug on the driver side of the tranny will be very very tight. fill it up until it pours out the hole.the fun part is getting the fluid in the damn hole without a pump. get 3 feet of 3/8 inch hose or similar to slip on the top of a 90 weight fluid bottle that has the pointy/cone tip. when cutting off the tip of the bottle make sure not to cut too much or too little. put one end of the 3 ft hose in the tranny fill plug hole and snake the other end up through the engine bay. stick the bottle of gear fluid upside down with the tip into the hose tightly and snug but not too tight or the cone top of the bottle will break. then hold one hand on the hose and one on the bottle and squeeze hard. if you do it right it wont leak all over your hand. it's nice to have another person holding the hose under the truck in the tranny fill hole. warm up the bottle of gear fluid to make it flow easier. i usually stick it in front of the fire and rotate a few times.

fill your rear end the same way. with the same fluid.

fisch keep those q's coming. i'll post in the project section soon with my progress pics for you to see.:D