Crankcase pressurizing like a balloon :(

Cylinder 2 is low, valve adjustment won't fix that.

Do a comparison test, do the smoke test:

1. With the engine fully or partially warm, and running, set the parking brake

2. Open the car door and step outside

3. Walk around the back of the car and observe the location of the tail pipe

4. Go back and stand by the front door. While watching in the general direction of the tailpipe, reach in with your foot and rap the accelerator briefly three times. Rev it up each time to about 4000 rpm (heavy throttle, but only for as long as it takes to press the pedal, immediately let up). Practice this first on your own car before trying it on someone else car.

What are the results?

• Good engine -- no bluish-white smoke should be observed.

• Worn engine -- any amount of bluish with smoke, even small amounts, indicate the engine is worn

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya really note the color too because that test can also cause smoke due to fuel mix or coolant burning. I know with my triples doing it will give me a very brief rich condition and in turn a tiny bit of smoke. Motor is in top shape though.....

9 times out of 10, excessive oil venting from L motors is because they're worn out. I never had any problems with my L20B venting oil until about a month before I chipped the piston and cracked the ring lands on the rest of the pistons. Prior to that, it ran beautifully. Unfortunately, high stress doesn't last that long. Especially not using high dollar parts.

Another really good thing is to use gapless rings when you rebuild. Haven't done that yet, but the next motor might get them.

And an L will run great with crap rings. My old 620 blew oil from every seal but would still hit 95 mph.