ID plates

haubstr

I was going to finally register my 521 and looked at the ID in the door jam and compared it to the one under the hood... Low and behold they are different...This truck hasn't been registered in 19 years so it is out of the system.

What can I do besides find someone parting one out and take the plates from that one?

Can I register with only the one in the door jam and just take the one under the hood off?

This sucks

Jamie

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back when i reg'd my 620 because it was from out of state they verified that the vin stamped on the frame [pass side eng. bay facing up behind rad.] matched the plate on the firewall/fender well. My door jamb ID plate had worn away & wasnt legible & they let that go. In your case make sure that the frame vin matches one of the plates & remove the other. Chances are the DMV person wont even know it's missing.

I was going to finally register my 521 and looked at the ID in the door jam and compared it to the one under the hood... Low and behold they are different...This truck hasn't been registered in 19 years so it is out of the system.

What can I do besides find someone parting one out and take the plates from that one?

Can I register with only the one in the door jam and just take the one under the hood off?

This sucks

Jamie

Is it way off or with added number or letter at the beginning or end?

What DMV cares here in CA is that at any 2 ID on the car has to match.

So if you only have one (hint, hint remove one ID) then there's nothing conflicting with your ID tag on the car. Just state that you got the car that way. All they care is that it's not stolen. And make sure paper work matches with the ID your going to use. And if it's not running yet, you can request local police officers to do VIN verification. I do it all the time.

Also have the same issue and the first officer advice me to start all over and "perhaps use just one ID tag". Cause tag on my 410 has added letter at the end. Found out that Dealership stamps them if they don't sell that year and sells it's following year to be that model year of the car.

Good luck

The VIN numbers are way different. Is the 521 stamped in the same place on the frame as the 620?

Thanks

They should be in the same location. Clean off the frame w/ a wire brush & youll see it. Match that to either one of the plates & remove the one that doesnt match. Another possible location for the vin to be stamped is pass. side frame behind the wheel facing outwards. I know my HB has it there. Also do you have the title? & if so what does that vin # say..doe sit match the frame or plate?

Also do you have the title? & if so what does that vin # say..doe sit match the frame or plate?

this will be the key, if you have it.

w/o it, the riveted plate on the jamb needs to match the dash, which should match any paperwork.

remove any non matching (ie.. screwed on) plates.

you can get it reg w/any stamped/riveted (just 1 ;) ) plate, but itll take a CHP inspection to clear it.

through zeddsaver.com he may be at the point where hes doing trucks.

i got 510 plates from him and theyre nice.

521s don't have dash plates. Datsun trucks didn't have dash plates until the 720. The VIN on a 521 and 620 is in 3 places - the door jamb (riveted), the underhood plate (screwed on) and the engraved/etched frame VIN which is the only one that legally matters, though the other 2 will certainly be checked. In my experience both dataplates are stamped- all mine (320, 520, 521, 620, 720) are. I've seen painted repros but they aren't legally valid, and in any case a VIN that is removeable (save sawing it off and welding in the body/frame section) isn't the end-all.

Note that if ANY do not match the paperwork, you might be required to provide paperwork proving that you owned each since it now becomes a salvaged/reconstructed vehicle.

If any match a stolen vehicle, you might lose the truck. There's stories here and there of stolen cars being returned 20-30 years later when an inspection reveals the reality.

Don't think that they won't check the frame VIN. I realize you're in Cali, so my experience in WA may be different, but when I had my '71 F250 inspected they went under the hood with a wire brush to get at the frame VIN. If your paperwork doesn't match the frame VIN it's little better than a birdcage liner.

ahhh, what the truck do i know :lol:

If your paperwork doesn't match the frame VIN it's little better than a birdcage liner.

:lol:

whats funny/sad is that my paperwork matched the screwed on plate and they verified it that way.

they couldnt read the dash# very well (still matched) and they didnt care about the stamped firewall # at all :blink:

I got the truck with no paperwork. I making a Bill of Sale now. I'm having a hard time time finding the VIN on the frame. I know I was told "on the passenger side". Is it on top of the frame? Do I have to take out the radiator to find it?

I have a lot of wire brushing to do...

Thanks

i have yet to find the vin on my 521 frames. everybody says where they are "top of the right side rail" and other locations. i just had my engine out last month and didn't see it anywhere. i've even asked on this forum before with no luck of finding it.

so if you do find it or anyone else, please take a pic of it's location "which should be in the freq asked q's section" and post it. and not one of those pics that are so close up you cant tell what part of the frame it is. i've had the bed off, looked under the wheel wells, engine out, no damn frame number? wire brushed the whole truck. good luck. and for the rest of you, dont tell just show.