ENLARGING regular cab rear window (options?)

Dawa

one of my (VERY) few disappointments with my truck is that the rear window is just too small.

i was wondering if/how i could go about replacing the window with a larger one.

i know 'everything has been done' and 'anything can be done with enough money.'

i got to googling and found a few results:

first result is Moodster's build http://community.ratsun.net/topic/32752-introduction-my-custom-620/

in which Farmer posts this photo

p_014.jpg

also found this from minitruckinweb.com

1005mt_04_+1977_datsun_620+rear_left_view.jpg

under mods it lists that this guy fitted a larger rear window from a king cab. so im guessin king cabs came with larger windows, alright.

so my question is, have any of yall had or seen a KC/larger rear window in a regular cab truck?

i still want my rear window to be able to slide so i wouldnt go exactly with a regular KC window.

i take that back, just found a kc that has the sliding option

2011-02-20%2010.25.01_Oxnard_California_US.jpg

i understand theyll be cutting all this metal out:

tumblr_m7cc5oHbGj1qe7x6po1_500.jpg

and my last, maybe silliest question: where (which kinda shop) would i take the truck to have this done? auto body shop? auto window shop?

thanks gents!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a very serious mod, and I would think the cleanest way to pull it off would be to pick up a King Cab cab and replace the entire back of the cab...the King Cabs look totally different than the Standard Cabs, so that's why I think it would look better to do the whole back portion rather than half. A body shop that does custom work is your best bet, I would definitely want to see pictures/examples of their custom work before I'd let them cut the back of the cab out. Good Luck!

I have seen alot of guys do this on 720 shortbeds so it can be done and it is not all that hard. I can give you the name of a few guys i know in the San Diego area that do Kustom work and they can knock this out...no problem. They do chop tops and section cars for a living so this will be a piece of cake to them....Let me know if you want their info or if you have decided to hold off for a while.