Matching ecu needed?

I've come on to a dilemma on trying to hunt down a ecu with matching numbers that came out of my 280. Am i able to use one off another 83 as long as its a non turbo and 5 speed, even if its not a california one?

And im not able to get my current one repaired at all, its completely fried thanks to my roommate since he wasnt paying attention when he hooked my battery back up when he borrowed it.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'82 for all non turbo....

22611-P9100 Federal manual, Federal automatic, Calif. manual, Calif automatic.

'83 for all non turbo....

22611-P9700 Federal manual

22611-P9710 Federal automatic, Calif. manual, Calif automatic.

I've come on to a dilemma on trying to hunt down a ecu with matching numbers that came out of my 280. Am i able to use one off another 83 as long as its a non turbo and 5 speed, even if its not a california one?

And im not able to get my current one repaired at all, its completely fried thanks to my roommate since he wasnt paying attention when he hooked my battery back up when he borrowed it.

I would have to look at the schematics, but you should probably be able to get something else to work. You have a 1983 280zx? California? Manual or Auto?

I found that 1983 ECUs are year specific. There was a major change in how the ECUs fired the injectors between the 1982 and

83 model year, since in '83 they did away with the external resistor bank. Basically any '83 280ZX non-turbo ECU will work, but earlier ones won't. An '83 Maxima ECU would probably get it running but not well.

• Like 1

I found that 1983 ECUs are year specific. There was a major change in how the ECUs fired the injectors between the 1982 and

83 model year, since in '83 they did away with the external resistor bank. Basically any '83 280ZX non-turbo ECU will work, but earlier ones won't. An '83 Maxima ECU would probably get it running but not well.

I noticed that in the wiring diagram in regards to the ballast resistors. Good info.

If the EFI system is similar to the 200sx system, most of the changes over the years just added additional crap (more sensors etc.), especially the California cars. I have no idea if they programmed or tuned the California vs. Fed ECUs differently, but I from a purely generic ECU point of view, I would think IF it was a California car and put fed stuff in it you should be okay. It may not be optimal but should work. Putting a California ECU in a fed car, on the other hand, could leave an ECU without appropriate sensors. Again, maybe there was no difference in the 1983 Z cars between Cali and Fed, but that would be my only concern.

well it is wired up a bit weird from what ive been told and i noticed the cali sticker and he said that it makes sense including the fact they did some werid emmison stuff in the 80's too. but doug at fairlady said that it shouldn't make a difference with ecu's as long as its a 83

well it is wired up a bit weird from what ive been told and i noticed the cali sticker and he said that it makes sense including the fact they did some werid emmison stuff in the 80's too. but doug at fairlady said that it shouldn't make a difference with ecu's as long as its a 83

Well let us know how it runs. I am interested.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...