Generic question

Years ago [don't ask how I know, well it started with a 1955 Chevy Bel Air] we could buy woven polystyene pads that we would saturate with wheel bearing or chassis grease and pop into the "dimples" between the leaves of our rear springs to lubricate motion and reduce squeeks and wear. I ask, but the "new hires" at the parts stores don't even know what leaf springs are. Does anyone out there remember, and better yet, know where these pads are for sale? If not, back to the air conditioner filters and sharp scissor mode of coping. Thanks for the read, a lead would be appreciated if possible.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's face it. The rear springs of non-coil Datsuns are not smooth riders. Nothing you can do will make the rear ride comfortably.

Except maybe this:

967.jpg

But at $400 a pair, I don't know of a single Datsun owner that has tried them. Better to convert to coilovers at only $200. Keep the main leaf, beef up the upper shock mount and fit the coilovers. Don't use Ground Control because they don't have light enough coil springs.

• 1 month later...

The method the OP is talking about seems like one of those "Car tricks and tips for the Modern HandiMan" of yesteryear... I've got to say, if people've stopped doing it, and stopped supporting that particular method, it probably didn't work so well, and there's probably a better, more efficiant method out there, that will get equal or better results. Composite leaf Springs, or converting to coilovers is what I would do

Since I have a sheet of 2 millimeter thick Polyteteraflourine ethylene [to avoid trademark problems] I will just cut appropriately sized pads and stuff them into the existing spring pockets. Thanks for the opinions! P.S. the pads are 50 years old, a souvenier of a forgotten antenna thrust bearing project [you don't really want to know].