newbie has a z question

joser09

hey just sold my nova and picked up a fixer uper 71 240z. i want to fit a wide rim but cant decide wiehter to go flared or leave it flareless. i love both looks, just wondering how much more room can u get with flares. and wheres the best site to buy em from. im also ordering the gc coilover sleves, to lower it a bit

im also intrested in the bre lip, where can i get one?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO it really depends. The body on my z is really cherry so cutting it up would just be a shame but if your car needs body work your going to save yourself a lot of time and money by installing the flares. to give myself the control over my camber that I needed to fit my wheels without flares I had to instal custom machined control arms and a lot of back and forth with my machinest to perfect them while I believe this is the right way to go it may not be the right way to go if you're working with a tight budget. There are way too many factors to give you a straight up and down dry cut answer.

Leave it unflared, stock. You can roll the fender to get a little extra clearance without changing the classic looks or hurting the paint. You can get fairly wide tires on it, especially if they are 50-series tires they will handle very well.

• 3 weeks later...

You can read my rant below but here is the general gist. You can tuck a 8.5" wheel under there with work and no flare, flaring would be easier. With stock suspension the backspace will need to be around 4" to 4.5".

15x10 will require coilovers and even still I think you would need flares. I don't have the worlds most powerful Z but she is turbo'd running megasquirt and I wanted to put wide rims on her, but decided to just re-shoe my 280zx swastika rims with nice tires and run them, the nice tires were almost as a big jump in performance as the new suspension. I think if you want to run wide rims for the look do what you want, but if you think you will never get traction just sort your suspension and bushings out, then put some nice sticky tires on them and it will handle great. Just remember a wider heavier wheel and tire will require more power to spin. I am not saying you can't find big light wheels, but if you are worried about never having traction I would say work on suspension first.

• 4 weeks later...