71 521 4spd Trans

Looking for one for my buddy's pickup. His wife just had their first baby and so he's a little too busy to look for one, even though he needs it. Somewhere close(Salem, Portland, McMinnville, etc..) would be nice! Thanks!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 620 4 speed used with the L16 up until Sept '73 and the 510 goon have the exact same gear ratios as the 521 and physically the same but for the flange output. What you can do is remove the bolt that holds the 521 flange/spline and remove it from the old transmission and use it on the new without the bolt. The hole where the bolt would go does need to be sealed. For this a 40mm frost plug with some gasket sealer will work.

Oh yeah, take the speedo cog out of the old and use on the new. The cog is matched to the differential.

Alternately, a 510 or 710 car 4 speed should also work, but the ratios are closer together than the 521's.

521flangeonnonflangeF4W63needsplug.jpg

• Like 1

Mike provided pics of what I speak of..... It took me longer to clean my trannys then to build one that was 26.5 ......it's in with yoke mod but I have a stock 2 piece 620 driand shaft and will be making a one piece ..... I used a 85 720 tail shaft section on a 79 620 bell..... It bolted in .... We shortened the rear mount to appease the tranny but built a second one that was lower the just shortened one hit the tunnel and made the truck a pager .......we just re cut the shortened mount and offset to lower tranny 1/2 inch and it's whisper quiet but if u want a 4 sP I have verified quie and working trannys...

Oh and don't forget to swap the cog..... I didn't and when I go 70 in 5 th gear it says I'm going 102.....I took them out but forgot to put the new one in but I got dial in my slave too it's too loose

Oh I did mention the tranny bolted in no driveshaft mod ..... Just the lower mount ..... Oh and buy a throw out I reused and had to spend Sunday pulling it half way back out for being to cheap..... And still forgot to swap the cog .... To be fair it was a time crunch.....

YES! A short FS5W71B from a 720 with an L front case swap will work too, Give you a bullet proof tranny and a 5 speed. You may find the parts easier to find too.

Here's one with the L bell swap.... and the speedo is still on the left side too!

trannyFS5W71Bshort0ne.jpg

The 521 4 speed speedo won't fit the 71B 5 speed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.