help wanted: how to lower front of 86 720

ratsunissan

i got new shocks and put some blocks to lower the rear end. im in the process of doing all the ball joints and tie rods and i bought some kyb's for the front. im just not to sure how to lower the front and i need some help. i heard its something with the torsion bars but im not sure on how to do it. someone help me out

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Loosen top lock nut and turn bottom to adjust. Easier to do with vehicle raised. Adjust both equally and lower truck to compare heights. Bounce suspension to before measuring.

torsion_bar.jpg

You can simply turn the adjustment nuts at the rear for lowering. The C clips are only removed if you run out of adjustment and need to slide the torsion bar back to disconnect the front spline in the lower control arm. This allows you to reposition the torsion bar into a lower adjustment range and is called indexing the bar. I would avoid this if possible as lowering this amount is well outside the suspension ride height limits and the camber is badly affected. All ride height changes will also change the toe setting.

Bleach said:

How to Reindex Torsion Bars

in front of the middle crossmember, you pull the boot forward to reviel the lock ring

rebuild62.jpg

Work a thin screwdriver into the edge of the ring. It will be tight. I had to work the angle back and forth while occasionally tapping the back of the handle with a hammer

rebuild63.jpg

Once you get under the ring, work it out slightly. Do not pull the screwdriver away or the ring will pop back on

rebuild64.jpg

After you have worked it off part way, use some pliers to pull the ring off the rest of the way. Be sure to still keep the screwdriver under the lock ring

rebuild65.jpg

Tap the rear arm of that holds the adjuster bolt out of the crossmember. Hang onto the torsion bar. It can slide out at either end. I was able to feel the splines in the end of the bar and I moved it two notches. edit:(but you only want to move it one notch!) The reindexed bar is on the right.

rebuild70.jpg

after the bar is reindexed, just hold the lock ring up and hit the back of the ring with a hammer. It pops on real easy. Put the dust boot back

rebuild66.jpg

• 1 month later...

mike, hainz or anyone else that can answer this

tried to reindex my torsion bars tonight. passenger side was fine but i couldnt remove the driver side anchor arm.

i banged on it with a hard rubber mallet and then a hammer (dont have a heavy, metal mallet but ill buy one soon)

that didnt work. so i took hainz approach of trying to loosen the torsion bars nut in the front @ the A arm, i loosened

it almost completely and then took the hammer to the bolt, and then put a non pointed center punch on the bolt and

went to town on that. didnt move a mm. also, i should add that when the snap rings were installed, the passenger side

anchor arm moved forward/aft somewhat freely, whereas the driver side arm wouldnt budge.

any ideas? if not then ill take a heavier mallet to it and see if that adjusts it's attitude.

yeah i think thats where the problem lies, in the anchor arm itself. i was thinking this mornin on the ride into work about

how i need to hit it w some penetrating oil

• 2 months later...