521 almost ready!

I've been working on my 521 for a while now trying to get it back on the road. I cleaned and lined the gas tank and put on new hoses, new brake cylinders, hardware and some new hard lines, new clutch hard line, new fuel pump, new oil pressure switch and bleeding of the brakes. Those speed bleeders from HELP really work well (the 3/8-24 size). It should be road worthy this weekend after I bleed the clutch cylinder (speed bleeder of course) and bolt the wheels back on.

Once it is running I plan on lowering it 2 or 3 inches and painting the stock wheels cream to contrast with the maroon body color. The interior has maroon velour seats from a Chrysler mini-van (comfy but close to the steering wheel). I also need to address the sloppy shifter but I saw a post tonight that should hopefully fix that.

I'll post picks when I get it on wheels again. There aren't too many of these things out here any more.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll post picks when I get it on wheels again. There aren't too many of these things out here any more.

Congrats! Man you are just about where I am at w/ mine. I am registered, and just need a new windshield washer motor to pass inspection. Do you have to pass safety inspection where you're at?

You should fill out your location in your profile so we know where you're at! You are right, there are very few of these things on the east coast.

MD doesn't have safety inspections? Lucky! I used to live in VA and they were pretty tough!

MA doesn't smog me cause it is so old, but they do do a safety. Heh they failed me cause my windshield washer didn't work. And the shifter boot was broken, and I have a marker light out, and a couple headlights. I understand that last two, but the washer and boot seem sorta silly!

Have you posted pics of your truck yet? Love to see it!

MD doesn't have safety inspections? Lucky! I used to live in VA and they were pretty tough!

MA doesn't smog me cause it is so old, but they do do a safety. Heh they failed me cause my windshield washer didn't work. And the shifter boot was broken, and I have a marker light out, and a couple headlights. I understand that last two, but the washer and boot seem sorta silly!

A torn boot would let fumes into the cabin and the windshield has to be quickly cleared if splashed with debris or mud. Always think worst case scenario and some times it sort of makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my new clutch master cylinder and hydraulic hose from Rock Auto and got them installed and bled today (what did I ever do before speed bleeders?). I also replaced the long heater hose and put in a new battery tray and hold down. All thats left is to put on the new windshield wipers and wheels and drive it! Then it's on to the more cosmetic stuff.

Finally, after about two years off the road, I took it for a drive around the community for about 10 minutes to check everything out. Everything seems to work fine and ran pretty good. I need to renew the tags tomorrow so I can legally drive it. I'm seriously considering the front disk setup because the drum brakes just suck. My 10 year old daughter is anxious to take it to the weekly Saturday night car show. It's not really in show condition but I plan on cleaning it up, painting the wheels tan (body is maroon) and dropping it 2 or 3 inches. It should look presentable enough. Once I get it cleaned up I'll post pics.

I was busy this weekend on the truck. It needed new seatbelts so my 10 year old daughter can ride in it. It is a late 1972 so it already had the mounting points for 3 point belts but it had a set of mismatched belts in it, a retractable on the driver side and a non-retractable on the passenger side. I used the retractable portion of the belts from a Dodge Caravan and the receivers from a Dodge car of some sort. Everything fit great and they work great too.

I also needed a new hood release cable and I found one from a 720 that mounts to the kick panel area instead of up under the dash. I didn't get that in yet but it should be pretty easy.

I also bought a rubber shifter boot off another small truck that should fit the hole in the floor (4.5" I think). Didn't get in yet because I need to try and fix the extremely sloopy shifter so I don't have to bang my passenger in the knee every time I shift it.

I finally figured out why my brake lights were always on when the battery is hooked up. I thought the brake light switch was just bad but when I looked at the pedal assembly today I found that there is a plastic button that the switch contacts and it was missing, which left a big hole on the pedal arm and therefore the switch was not turned off when the pedal was all the way up. I'll need to come up with something to put in that hole.

Not a bad weekend overall.

Great to hear another east coast 521 is rocking the pavement!

Hey about that shifter boot. So mine was really busted up before I replaced it with a brand new one on ebay. It felt like the slopiest shifter in history. But when I put the brand new boot on there I was amazed how much more accurate and tight it felt. Just from the new boot.

I had my grade 8 bolt ready to replace the pin down there, but haven't bothered to do it yet, as the boot made it feel 100% better. Eventually I will get that bolt in with some washers to pack it, but for the moment I am thrilled.