New guy- worn out 520- sloooow build

Hey guys. New to this forum and Datsuns (kind of). This is my first personal Datto, we did have one growing up though and my best friend growing up had this exact year/make/model truck. I picked it up several months back and have been running it all over as a little buzz box commuter rig to save on fuel. Had been running great until just the other day on my way to the airport. I was driving down the freeway started to hear a slight knock, oil pressure light came on, more knocking and then a coolant smell. Had to catch a taxi to the airport and have a buddy tow the little truck back to his place until I get back. Thankfully, I was already planning an engine swap (little 1300 just wasn't going to cut it). I am a Ford guy through and through (except Datsun pickups and Wagoneers!!!!) and just a week prior had picked up an intercooled 2.3L turbo and t5 transmission from a thunderbird to put in it. I was surprised to find another one of these here on the Ratsun forums!!

The poor thing is pretty rough, but the only cancer is under the battery tray and the drivers floorboard. I may eventually seek out another cab.... time will tell. Long term plans are a complete resto. Like the title says though, this will be s.l.o.w. I'm in the process of starting a house right now and I'm sure all money and time will be devoted to that. Enough story, here are the only two pictures I have of it with me here at work. I'll be picking everyones brain as time goes on. Especially for part sourcing!

7414893064_716bccbe43.jpg

7414895144_d998c99325.jpg

7414896798_1ddcf9e8e7.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

howdy!

where in idaho are ya?

theres a few if us down here in boise nampa caldwell area..

ive always been a fan of the 2000-2300 ford motors..

there was a guy on here that did the turbo 2300 swap into a 521... the post hasnt been updated for a long time, so i dont know where it is..

have fun

howdy!

where in idaho are ya?

theres a few if us down here in boise nampa caldwell area..

ive always been a fan of the 2000-2300 ford motors..

there was a guy on here that did the turbo 2300 swap into a 521... the post hasnt been updated for a long time, so i dont know where it is..

have fun

I'm a northerner... I live in Bonners Ferry, about 20 miles from Canada. I saw the post of the little flat black one. My intentions are to be much cleaner than that one as a finished product. I would LOVE to find a king cab body to transplant on to my chasis durring the process, so i'll definitely be on the lookout. I'm 6'2" and these little cabs are a tight fit :)

I'll definitely be posting a bunch of pics. Hopefully the whole process will be well documented. Looking forward to the eduction I will recieve!

hmm.... I guess i didn't know that! How close are the 620/520 front clips? any possibility of taking a 620 king cab and transfering the whole front clip over from the 520? Seems like the 620's are longer.... but i'm not real familar with body llines and such.

I'm not sure what your trying to do now, are you wanting to have front disc brakes( late 620 front clip) on your 521?

A front clip is the front half of a frame to me, if you want a kingcab 521, you will have to make it..

BTW, you have a 1969 datsun 521, the same truck as my kingcab I posted a photo of above, and this is what it looked like before I modified it.

DSCN0026.jpg

I have a whole grill and front bumper if you want it I live just north of Sandpoint . That's a nice pickup I'm 6'2 as well and even my 510 is a little snug.

If you need help on parts I go junk yard hopping sometimes let me know what you need and I might find it.