Whats the deal with 260 tach's going bonkers

jesusno2

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Clean and gap the points. My '70 Dart would have a jumpy tach when the points were worn. You could also look for a loose connection on the coil and the ballast resistor.

well mike its got a electronic ignition. It looks aftermarket im guessing, but still has a ballast resistor?? I'm still sorta z car retarded

well mike its got a electronic ignition. It looks aftermarket im guessing, but still has a ballast resistor?? I'm still sorta z car retarded

probably petronix

maybee a grounding issue

280Z had electronic ignition with twin-ballast resistor (three terminal resistor). Only the 1978 had no ballast resistor. They had an aluminum box with 5 or 6 screw-on wire connections.

I think 260Z had this also

The coil might be wired incorrecty, that can make a tachometer jump and have a rough idle, but still make great power once it gets going.

I had this same problem coming home from Canby, where I swapped a distributor and coil. When I got home I changed the coil and all the problems went away. Funny too because at the drags, i had really good top speed.

I think the problem was how the coil was wired. There is an extra wire in my harness which I didn't hook back up. but maybe that coil was bad. Since I had an extra, i swapped it in. I should have tested it with an ohmmeter.