NOOB ISSUE #1554878225 (ha, not really)

DAT{521}SUN

I have an L20 I swapped in my 521 and am near completion of hopefully having the engine started, but I have reached a problem I can't seem to find the solution to.

Where does the hose on the intake manifold go to? I started putting antifreeze and it started to shoot out from there. IF the solution is to simply plug it, where can I get the proper plug to do so? Thanks!!!!!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They can be plugged, but they should be connected to the pipe that comes off of your thermostat housing. It should have 1-2 smaller pipes branching down off of it, and a hose connects the intake coolant lines to that.

That is, if you're talking about what I think you are.

And by "should" I mean that's where they were originally. Not that they have to be there. I've heard that they can be plugged, as they are only to warm the carbs up. Not sure on that info though.

What Davies said is Truth, Yo.

The hose from the thermostat is meant to go in the intake.

Does water shoot out of the intake??

If it does, plug the head passages, but try to run the water if possible, it helps with the air temperature, which makes it run better.

And by "should" I mean that's where they were originally. Not that they have to be there. I've heard that they can be plugged, as they are only to warm the carbs up. Not sure on that info though.

They aren't meant to warm the carb as much as they are meant to cool it. The carb is directly above the exhaust manifold which is HOT (500-600 degrees), therefore coolant (200 degrees) running through the intake manifold actually cools the intake and helps it run better when hot. We actually tested it on the dyno (on an ITC L16) and it did, in fact, make better power with the water line hooked up.