a-series 5 speed for l-series

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

agreed: A-series transmission does not fit L-series engine. The L16 is bigger than A14, a 5-speed is no substitute for more cubic inches.

i just ask the same thing in my b210 thread. i think i sorta knew the answer but i really wanted to put a L in my b210 and keep my dogleg. oh well, i am going to keep my a14 i think. i'll go for speed in the 620.

Guys,

Don't rule it out 100%. The A series engine 5 speeds were either 60 or 63 series. The early B210's used a dogleg 63A transmission. These are tha same transmissions that were used in the dogleg HL510 and S110 - 200SX cars in 78-81(?). They used the L20B engine.

If your transmission is a 63A, you can swap the bellhousing/forward case section with one from the 510/200SX dogleg transmission and use the B210's existing transmission. I beleive the tail housings are the same 510/200SX to B210, so a direct swap might also be performed.

http://wiki.datsun1200.com/index.php/5-Speeds

Here are some pictures to identify the 63A in a B210.

http://datsun1200.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=13615

http://datsun1200.com/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=13612

Also the later Z20 510's (1981) had an again different bellhousing/forward case to acomidate the angle of the Z series engines. (can be used to install a KA engine as well)

Of course that means actually GETTING a L-series dogleg to begin with, and finding a broken one someone hasn't already recycled isn't easy.

The S110 200SX did NOT use a dogleg- it used the F5W71B. Only the S10 200SX ('76-79) used the dogleg. The '79-79 510 also did ('80-81 would have a NAPS-Z bell) and the 810 used a longtail version of the dogleg (front case was the same as the shorttail).

The S110 200SX did NOT use a dogleg
Correct. The S110 (80-82?) used 71B and NAPS-Z engine

Of course that means actually GETTING a L-series dogleg to begin with, and finding a broken one someone hasn't already recycled isn't easy.
I have one! :D I was about to post to see if someone wants it.

My main question: It sound like you want to swap the L16 out, and put an A14 in?

I didn't see what you were trying to move around. I've run plenty of A and L series stuff. Nissan only put the A series stuff in their smallest cars for a reason - They tend to be a bit on the gutless side (I drive one everyday). I agree with ZILLA, there is no substitute for cubes. L's are great and certainly have more grunt (used to drive one everyday). Plus there are alot more available 5-speed choices. Sounds like an awful lot of work. Maybe you should just give the A series stuff to me.:D