What Clutch and Flywheel do I need?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any 6 bolt flywheel from any L20B/L24/L26/L28/Z20/Z22/Z24 powered car or truck will fit.

Now you have to choose what size clutch and pressure plate you want to use.

200mm are found on the L20B and Z series powered cars and this allows the use of the very strong 200mm Roadster clutch.

225mm are found on trucks to '82 and six cylinder cars.

240mm are found on Z24 powered trucks from '82.

Ok thank you.

My L20B had an Autobox behind it. And, I forgot to grab the Flywheel off the L28 I had. I think I saved the pressure plate and clutch from the 280zx gear box, but I'm not finding it either. I just planned on buying everything I need, new.

I know lots of people swear by the Roadster clutch, so that means I would need a 200mm flywheel. I guess my next question will be "what can I buy readily"?

Thanks for the fast response and the help.

Wanted to point out, if you end up with a 200mm flywheel - do not just go to an auto parts store and buy a clutch for a Roadster. You'll just get a 510 pressure plate, they combined P/N's in the aftermarket.

The roadster pressure plate can still be purchased from Nissan directly, though. The discs are the same, however. Aftermarket companies should have used the roadster clutch... but likely didn't because of the stiff pedal you get. If you can live with a stiff pedal, go for a roadster!

Fidanza makes aluminum flywheels in 200 and 225mm and Im sure others.

about 380$

Roadster pressure plate 30210-20111 youll use a 510 T/O bearing and Sleeve.

nissanparts.cc enter the part number in blank

But you could buy the 225mm Fidanza also? But use the Daiken Stage 1 620 datsun truck set up

Number of different ways to do this. But EZ to get wrong also.

also you got the crank bolts right?

importrp.com has "SPEC" Brand

200mm 510 and Daiken stage one 620 225mm cltuches and others.

When I did my auto to 5 speed conversion in my 75 620, there wasn't a flywheel with the tranny. The cheapest way for me to go was with a new 240mm flywheel, clutch, pp. It was an EXEDY product and was cheaper than a 220mm set up. They fit perfect and work perfect as well. - as Mike pointed out, I made triple sure to purchase the correct t/o bearing from the Nissan dealership.

My clutch and pressure plate are both Exedy. Cant tell you bout the weight as I had nothing to compare it to, but I thought the only real differences betwewen the flywheels were the size of the surface area that the clutch is coming in contact with.,

240mm flywheels are heavy and designed that way. for thruck or heavy cars as the heavier flywheel has stored energy. Plus the mating surface is 240 which is good.

But on a 4 cylinder to me its HP robbing for a steet car.

Datszenmike might have weight specs PM him

If its a Exedy Japan then its a good deal.

Put a 240 aluminum one then you be PIMPN

It looks like 240mm flywheel in stock form weighs 25lbs. I see the KA24DE uses a 225mm flywheel 24 spline. I can get those in 18lb, or 11.5lb. Does anyone know for certain if these WON'T work? I hear people on here say the KA is bassically a modified L series engine. I know I'm complicating the issue a little, but I'm just looking at what I can get easily. If the stock 200mm flywheel weighs about 10-12lbs, then the 225mm weighing 11.5 lbs, should give a nice pull off the line, but more clamping force than a stock 200mm without the heavy pedal pressure of the Roadster pressure plate. Correct??

I just found a parts supplier that lists the '89-90 240sx KA as having the same clutch as the '75-83 280z and zx. And it says it is for the 225mm. If the clutch is interchangeable, wouldn't the flywheel be as well? Again the only reason I'm pursuing this route is availability of the lower cost chromoly lightened flywheels for the 240sx.

The last 3 flywheels I pulled from Z24 trucks were 240mm and 21lbs. 2 were 4x4's and 1 was 2wd. I lightened the one in my 521 to just over 16lbs, but with the bigger disc and PP, I think it's a wash. Bigger is heavier.

Disclaimer. Lightening a cast flywheel can turn it into a grenade and cause bodily injury or death. Remember, I am a professional. Dont try this at home. There, I'm covered.

The last 3 flywheels I pulled from Z24 trucks were 240mm and 21lbs. 2 were 4x4's and 1 was 2wd. I lightened the one in my 521 to just over 16lbs, but with the bigger disc and PP, I think it's a wash. Bigger is heavier.

Disclaimer. Lightening a cast flywheel can turn it into a grenade and cause bodily injury or death. Remember, I am a professional. Dont try this at home. There, I'm covered.

What don't you like about the setup in your 521? Too light, or what? What is your goal/intentions of use?

I'm looking for a nice daily driver that is easy to leave from a stoplight without having to rev the engine.

More research of aftermarket products shows the 280z (2-seater), 280zx (2-seater), and the L20b trucks and Z22 up to '84ish use the same 225mm clutch. One company sellls the same clutch for use with the '89-'90 240sx, and a different clutch for 91-98 240sx. Where as another company sells only the second style clutch for use with ALL 240sx. The 280z and 280zx 2+2 cars use the 240mm clutch, with the 280zx turbo using a different 240mm clutch. The stock flywheel of the 240sx looks to be between 18-21 lbs.