Does anyone have a front sway bar on a 79 620 with ball joints?

I have a 79 620 without a sway bar. Does anybody have a sway bar in a 620 with ball joints? I have yet to see one. I've seen three kingpin 620 trucks with sway bars, but have yet to see one on a ball joint 620. I saw one one on a 720(?) today in a junk yard that had ball joints and it all looked very similar to mine. I couldn't read the ID tag there but I snapped a pic of it (see below.) Possilby an 84?

720.jpg

720plate.jpg

1. Has anyone taken a sway bar off a king pin 620 and installed it on a ball joint truck? Are they interchangeable? My lower control arms have the holes where the ends woud attach. It looks like it bolts on in the same threaded holes on the frame where my 620 currently has tow hooks bolted in?

2. Does anyone know if the sway bar off a 720(?) is interchange with a 620? Without removing them to mock up they look like they might mount closer on the frame on the 720, thus possibly a shorter sway bar?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 1979 only had sway bar on the camper package 620. It was optional for all other 1979 620s, but seems few ordered that option. But it's easy enough to the put it on. It's only $125 from Nissan. I think the links are a different length, but otherwise the same. You can use the same rubber insulators at front and on the links as on earlier 620s.

Btw, a build date of 10/84 makes it a 1985 model (model year usually starts October, sometimes earlier).

Also an easy upgrade for your front brakes is to use the 720 vented disc brakes. I bought the spindle and everything from jy and bolted right on. As a matter of fact, that was almost 2 years ago and am still running the jy brake pads... Lol. Just unbolted the ball joints and brake lines from donor truck bolted into mine blead the brakes and away I went. Think it cost me $85 from pick a part on half price day for both sides.

To me any improvement you do to a datsuns brakes is worth doing! Just wait till you have brake fade with your stock discs and then you'll really want to do it. Besides that, the stock discs warp so easily its not funny.