Save Drifting in Atlanta!!

What are you talking about man?

Our fan base isn't the problem. We don't have people drifting out of parking lots at every meet JDM style making noise and being idiots.

This has NOTHING to do with any of that. Our meets are responsible, organized, and professional. That's why our scene is as big as it is. I don't expect you to know, having never attended our meets, but what you don't seem to understand is that not every car event is a scene out of F&F.

Our drift meets are no for kids to go throw their grandma's cars around while they're out of town. It's not for your run of the mill S13/14 to come throw down. These are Formula D Pro-Am and above drift events. As simple as that.

This issue is regarding a housing complex being constructed in the area and people complaining about the noise at the event. As simple as that.

For those of you that signed for whatever reason, thank you. In the last 2 hours we've managed over 500 additions to the petition.

To be honest, I think it's mostly a case of 'damn those stupid kids sliding around in my parking lot.'

The parking lot we drift on is historical. It's whats left of the famous original Turner Field. They tore it down and build a stadium in an adjacent lot. Now it's just a parking lot.

In my opinion, I think they're just picking on us since they don't see what we do as a motorsport. We Autocross there including a few other random sports, but this is the only one that's come up as an issue.

We're tearing down the wall the legislators are building around them. Formula Drift is happening on Road Atlanta as we speak and will be happening tomorrow as well. We've picked up a huge amount of support here through other drifters.

The fact is, if we don't stop their push to ban drifting we'll potentially loose every motorsport in the area. Drift, Autocross, SCCA events, etc.

My .02 is the people that want you guys to stop moved next door to a quiet urban parking lot, not a race track , and that`s why the city is moving forward..And your early posts did lead us to believe the city was shutting down a long existing race " venue " ,, not a parking lot.

Unlike those people that moved next to a race track or " under PDX " and now want to change the rules..

just my .02

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My .02 is the people that want you guys to stop moved next door to a quiet urban parking lot, not a race track , and that`s why the city is moving forward..And your early posts did lead us to believe the city was shutting down a long existing race " venue " ,, not a parking lot.

Unlike those people that moved next to a race track or " under PDX " and now want to change the rules..

just my .02

What do you mean? The lot has been used for legitimate racing for the last 10 years. This is not new to anyone. We've been Autocrossing/drifting/racing the lot since the city allowed it over 10 years ago.

We race the lot because it's historical to us as well. Ever since early 2002 when the lot was paved, the city of Atlanta has allowed events there and we JUST had one less then a month ago with over 4K cars. The talk wasn't to ban motorsports in general, it's simply against drifting.

There were no issues raised until the new housing complex started construction. So yes, they are moving in next to a race track.

http://www.wsbtv.com/videos/news/hundreds-gathered-for-final-drifting-event/vHGhG/

^^Today was potentially the last drift event in Atlanta. I couldn't show up because of work, but it was pretty big from my understanding.

We had several pro drifters including Vaughn Gittin JR. and Joon Maeng today rallying support for our cause.

http://vimeo.com/42558349

The above video was from our very last, and possibly last EVER drift event.

Today was the city council meeting. I personally feel it went over well, but we'll see the results soon. I'm gonna upload the recorded city council meeting soon.

Edited by metalmonkey47

Howard Shook sounds like an arrogant bitch.

"You must be profiting from this."

Dude should take a ride around the track before he runs his mouth.

Monkey, can you list the minutes from the meeting? I blinked through the video but I couldn't find where they conversation was going on.

Sorry, the meeting is a PITA. There's so much crazy ass-ness in the video.

Speaking for ATL drift are @...

Turner Drift organizer- 3:00 Howard Smith

ATL Shop Owner and Datsun owner- 5:08 Kelly Lewis <<BTW, she calls out Howard Shook too. LOL

ATL Resident and Drifter Mother- 9:10 Valerie Waters

ATL Resident and Drift fan- 13:15 Amie Ciantos

ATL Drifter- 18:47 Name unkn

ATL Drifter- 19:35 Ryan

ATL Drifter- 20:30 Junious Brodnax??

ATL Drifter- 21:47 Duprie <What she spoke about, I actually had a thread on here about. This was the girl Z owner that just about killed herself one night in a drift accident that's lost the use of her legs because of what were fighting against.

ALSO Not part of the drift related notes, but @ 16:45 some crazy is speaking pure babbling shit that was kind funny.

wow shocker same problem every motorsport has.... has to be on the boonies.....look at all the big tracks.... are any of them really built near anything significant...take nascar for example.....every track thats only used twice a year mainly is in the middle of nowhere....85 percent at least....every motorsport goes up against what your talking about.,... just find a new spot thats not in the middle of a town or residential area...its simple u will never win trying to bring motorsports to a residential or commercial area ever....there's no precedent and drifting wont be that precedent...i checked all your stuff out that u have posted.... no where did they make u stop drifting they just want drifting out of there area...u take it ias they cant drift anymore... u can drfit just take your fart cans where we cant here them.( so what if its outside city limits.....)...and frankly after being to events and sponsoring a car... i don't blame the residents...sounds to me like your organization took it as no more drifitng period ... when u probably would have had more success and support moving drifiting ......i tell u this generation its always all or nothing...u guys suck at dealing with adverse situations....