5 speed swap

picked up a 1979 280 z transmission what i heard is that i have to shorten my drive line and move my cross member back and cut my tunnel about a inch. is this right or anything else i should know?

o ya is a 1970 521 with a L18/4spd

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

from browsn through the threads its looks like i gotta shorten my drive line about 4-4 1/2 inches, pick up a z Throw out bearing, and fab my stock trans mount to fit the 5spd? am i missing anything?

You don't necessarily need a Z bearing, I think the bearings themselves are all the same. The housing or collar that holds the bearing to the clutch arm is matched to your clutch pressure plate height. If you are running the same clutch keep the bearing housing you have and just get a new bearing.

As for the shorter drive shaft, check on here if the shorter front drive shaft from a 620 will fit your 521. I think the 620 4 and 5spds were long, so they would have a shorter shaft.

Ok use the TRUCK throw out bearing & clutch slave cylinder. the 521 trans. crossmember will bolt right onto the Z trans. Remove the Z trans. mount & install the 521 mount,direct bolt on. Youll need to shorten the mount to mak eit line up [look at my pics] & yes shorten the shaft about 4 inches [pics]. Also cut the trans. tunnel hole [shifter] back a few inches, if you have a bench seat you may run into issues. th eshifter may hit the seat in 2nd, 4th & reverse.

• 4 weeks later...

Make sure that you use the "truck" clutch arm. They have different holes at the clutch slave end...and the "Z" (and some others) lack the return spring hole. I am right in the midst of my own, how is your going?