flywheel bolts

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Be sure to remove the spacer between the auto flex plate and crank when putting the flywheel on.

yeah i forgot to do that and I striped one of the bolts and broke it off in the crankshaft.. dont ask.. but dont use a 5ft pry bar to try to tighten the bolt....:mad: :( so pissed but I just drilled out the bolt and chipped off the remaining pieces and then retaped and it was fixed. about a day and a half later.

Know how you feel. Back in the early '80s I got an L20B and put it together for my '71. Took a while, and when ready for the flywheel, the crank threads were rusty, never gave it a thought, slapped it on. Months later I was driving a date home and suddenly no power. All the bolts sheared off. I shut it off but it wouldn't re-start, of course. I slipped it into second and used the starter to crank me about three blocks and parked it. First electric 521 in Ontario.

I drilled them out with an electric hand drill, oversize tapped them, and some grade 15 bolts. You could see that a few were slightly crooked but what did I know back then right?