Re-re Ratty Starion

Figured I'd share this with you guys since...well...Ratsun seems to enjoy these types of things...lol

Anyway, I recently got a 1987 Mitsubishi Starion that has a built motor and good drivetrain...but, horrible body (bondo hides a lot :/ ) Saw some rust starting...didn't realize it was resurfacing from beneath a horribly thick layer of filler.

But...I decided to paint it, sanded it down, found out the lower half of the body was plastic and decided to rat the car out til I found a better body to swap to.

Anywho...here's how she started...looking horrible with a cheap paint job.......

DSC09620.jpg

and as of tonight after a couple days of fun :) I'll get the paint off the windows, don't fret :P

DSC09665.jpg

I'm not done yet...plans for an eye, a pin up girl, tire pressure stamps above the wheel wells, engine designation in bold letters on the quarter behind the wheel "G54B"....etc. I'm just kinda having fun with it.

But, yea...figured I'd share, and stop in to say hi!

• Like 1
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha...thanks guys, and will do. Working on it some more tomorrow.

And, yep...1985 Omni GLH awaiting a GLHS intercooled turbo motor swap, 225hp stage 2 setup :D

As far as the tires...well...either white letter, or, I was thinking yellow letter would look cool too :P

If you were closer, I would...hahaha.

I actually need to have the crank turned on this one as it knocks when revved up. Its quiet at idle, though, so I'm hoping its not that bad...never know though. :/

But...yanking the motor tomorrow!

I love thoughs starion so much, I'd trade my 76 280z's and my 73 240z just for one. I personally prefered the old paint to the new though, but its your car, not mine.

I love them, this is my 3rd one...lol I miss my old one a lot as it was one of the nicer examples...but, whatever...lol But, they handle great, when running right have great power, more electronic gizmos than most modern cars and they all still work 25 years later, bulletproof LSD rear from the factory...etc

And, as far as this one, I would never do this to a nice car, but, in all honesty, this car is rotted beyond my care to fix and smothered in bondo (I didn't know that til I started sanding it down to repaint it white). So, my plan is to run it like this for a while and have fun with it until I find a nice body to swap everything over to. Just thought this would be fun to do instead of fixing something thats not worth fixing...ahha. But, it needs rockers, full quarters, and fenders. Frame is solid as a rock though.

I'd be interested in the left over body if it weren't so far away, I've only seen a conquest tsi in person and the guy is a local dsm club member, lucky bastard things I would do for one.

Lol...out there you should be able to find nice ones. Right next door in AZ are quite a few starquesters. But...lol. They're a PITA, but well worth it.

And, here's my progress today. Found out the previous owner is an idiot and over torqued the rod bolts severely, resulting in the engines destruction. But, at least I know the bearing spun from that and not from it being beat on...lol

Everything other than the crank looks great though. Forged 8.5:1 pistons, Crower rods, , ARP rod bolts and head studs, non-jet valve head with oversized Stainless valves, schneider cam...etc.

Engine should be around 300hp with the setup I have here. Can't wait to get it back together and drive it...lol

But...here's my progress.

DSC09736.jpg

Always thought these were cool cars! I've been a 3nd gen Celica nut for a while and these have the same type of lines..

I saw one at a Pick and Pull about 6 month ago, I'll let you know if I see another parts car around, if your looking for any parts...

Thanks...do let me know. Never know what you might find...haha. There's those oddities that are good to have extras of.

And, Indy, no, just a pic out of my point and shoot camera with a little shadow/highlight tool on Photoshop to bring out the details. It pretty much looked like that originally though...lol

Once I come into some money, I'm going to get a legit camera...thought my Sony was nice til I used a Nikon D3100...now my camera is crap...haha

• 4 weeks later...

Always wanted one of these when they first came out...but I was a young fart with no money, now I'm an old fart with no money

Diggin the oics

Lol...out there you should be able to find nice ones. Right next door in AZ are quite a few starquesters. But...lol. They're a PITA, but well worth it.

And, here's my progress today. Found out the previous owner is an idiot and over torqued the rod bolts severely, resulting in the engines destruction. But, at least I know the bearing spun from that and not from it being beat on...lol

Everything other than the crank looks great though. Forged 8.5:1 pistons, Crower rods, , ARP rod bolts and head studs, non-jet valve head with oversized Stainless valves, schneider cam...etc.

Engine should be around 300hp with the setup I have here. Can't wait to get it back together and drive it...lol

But...here's my progress.

DSC09736.jpg

Are these motors the same ones that were in the old Dodge Ram50 mini trucks? I remember those motors were badass N/A with sidedrafts on them back in the day!

What are these Turbo motors putting out for power when going all out with them?

Think i remember Sakura Racing in P.R. had one of these going very fast!!

keep the pics coming..

• 4 weeks later...

^^^they put out 180hp/225tq stock. This one should be about 300hp/300tq...rough estimate comparing to similar builds.

But right now its zero horsepower. Brand new engine with ZERO oil pressure. Even filled the oil pump up with gear oil along with the filter, etc. Absolutely nothing. No oil flow at all.

Before I took it apart it was almost 3/4 on the gauge cold.

• 3 months later...

did you ever get oil pressure im planning on putting a g54bt in my 620 and my friend has a starion that had the same problem which ended up being the oil pump was bad internaly so he had to buy a new one... great motor tho love them once you get rid of the balance shafts and jet valve head there bullet proof :thumbup:

Almost puts a tear to my eye, I used to have a 86 plymouth conquest interior was in really good shape but the outside needed work. The engine was a mess but I got it to run, then my friends dad sold it behind my back because it was at his shop too long according to him. It's hard to find some nice was going for cheap I got mine for $250.

thats sad, well are you going to the drift evo on the 20th in medford by chance?

I always try to go when I can haven't been to any this year but will try for the 20th. My friend Jesse and his girl drift, he's got a red AE86 coupe & his girl has a red S13 240sx.