Fortune-Auto Coilovers

Josh K.

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up. After many emails and phone calls back and forth with Fortune-Auto I decided why should I build my car around S13 Coil-overs when they can build the coil-overs to fit my car instead....

Fast forward. After another 40 emails, numerous phone calls, lots of drawings of my setup, the stock mount points and the perfect "On the bump stops"/Static/Droop measurements it is now in motion and the final drawings are being drafted right now. Yesterday I got the first manufacturing drawings. The rears they accidently made to the stock length and not my specs. This has been fixed and they'll be sending me complete assembly drawings next week with springs/collars and all the goodies ;)

So here's the plan. Adjustable ride height, Spring Preload, Dampening, Valved for the 510, any spring rate you want and the option to add their "Swift Springs". I should see my prototype set in the next 4months and as it takes awhile to manufacture. I would expect the final price to be around $1,100.

So what is different besides the obvious?

The rears bolt right on, you must use your stock upper hardware as it's cost prohibitive to make a mold to make the rubber bushings...

The fronts will be weld on but not like the Stance Tubes or the slip over collar setups on the market now.

Here's the idea:

I did a bunch of research on how people are installing S13 coil overs. I found a lot of guys are welding the thread sleeve to the stock strut tube, some are even gusseting them. I don't really feel comfortable with relying on Cast Steel-Tubing to hold my wheel on... I know it's being done but if a company wants to limit the liability on a product it's needs to be a little more robust. I designed these around the 280zx strut but it will work with the stock 510 struts also. Just hold the strut tube plumb, tack, tack underneath, weld out....

Here's what I sent to Fortune-Auto so they could see the parts in person.....

IMG_20120404_065429.jpg

This is the one of my early sketches, notice the solid billet lower.....

STRUT.png

Here's the mock up blank:

IMG_20120212_152813.jpg

Here's what the strut would look like. Just cut off the tube flush, drill a hole through and hot tank to make sure it's clean.

IMG_20120212_152750.jpg

IMG_20120212_152742.jpg

IMG_20120212_152802.jpg

Tube/Blank inserted. You would weld the perimeter and plug weld the bottom. The real one would have more taper like the drawing:

IMG_20120212_152826.jpg

IMG_20120212_152838.jpg

Here's the current drawing:

datsun510protoa.jpg

So what do you guys think? Most of this info is in my build thread here on Ratsun but I wanted to let the larger community know about this project as I feel it's gonna be a great option. I'm stoked!

Josh-

• Like 1
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have to find out. I think around 4"at the rocker to 7" would be my guess. This is with 15's. I'll get some more info tonight. Basically I specd them to my ride height as the mid range in adjustment. To get full up travel required trimming of the body to clear the arm. I think they'll go totally slammed to almost stock height. Again I'll get more info tonight and post it tomorrow.

Josh-

• 2 months later...

The coil-over parts will be arriving at Fortune-Auto on Wed. After assembly and dyno testing they should ship out Friday :hyper: :fu: :hyper: :fu: :ninja:

I'm going with 4kg. springs front and rear.

I plan on documenting a full install procedure when I install mine. The rear will need a uni-bit to open the upper shock mount hole and the front lower tube welded on by a professional. Not alot to ask for sick ass coil-overs.... :thumbup:

I'll be receiving a set of the 500's

fortune%20auto%20500%20series.jpg

MOCK%20CUT%20AWAY%20ASSEMBLY%20500.jpg

fa500b.jpg

I love the look of the coil-over. I am a little concerned about installation since the strut tubes will have to be machined out and then an adapter welded into place. Since you are taking the helm on this project and you have the means for at least the machining work (not sure on the welding), are you going to be providing a service to prep the struts for the coil-over installation? It would seem fitting since you have experiences with the tolerances associated with the installation.

Hope to hear a review of the coil-overs soon, I am in the market for some for my Mini Countryman and they are one of the few companies that make them for that vehicle.

Hey Dennis,

It only requires a drill press to punch a hole through the bottom and a nice level work bench for welding. The tube is just cutoff flush with a hand grinder.

I'm not planning on doing this work myself as I'm just too damn busy. I have a few ideas and will report back....

Josh-

Ps. My only review can be the install and fitment as my car is a loooong way away from driving. After 160 emails back and forth I can say I have never worked with such a great company and group of people as Fortune-Auto. If the product is as good as the support then it's top notch.

Tristin,

I'm just someone that wants what I want and found someone to make it so everyone else can also get what they don't know they want.....

:rofl:

The "where" and "how" is still developing. After I give the green light on fit and function they should be on the shelf within a month.

-Josh