Stock 510 Front Brakes help!

xzile609

So whats the trick on changing the front disc brakes? The stock ones.

I attempted this and cant believe how hard it is or seems lol. Wow I cant even change the brakes.

I took out the 2 17m bolts pulled off the caliper. Took out both old pads opened the box for the new pads they are slanted???

I took off the metal spring plate pushed the caliper back could not get the new pads to line up not sure what i'm doing wrong. Also the entire caliper housing seems like it shifts around.

whats the proper procedure on changing these.

All the searches I have done are just people outright upgrading the brakes. Which I plan to do just not right now.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you driver side brake will look look like this / from the back with those tabs at you. as your pads wear it will go more staright up and down as you mentioned/

passenger side will be the oppisite

so match up the pads to get the look you want then separate them so you know what side they go on.

MAKE SURE you got this!!!!! as I heard of a guy had 3 of the same side pad in stead of 2 each and he coulnt figure this out.

Now I take a Big C clamp and maybe leave the old pad in there and sqeeze the Round cylinder /caliper to open it up to fit both pads and the disc. You might need to open the blled screw.(I forget if you can ot not)

The other half of this caliper slides to make sure that opens up also.

• 5 weeks later...

Covered before. These are Lockheed Disc Brakes. They pivot about the corner the assembly does not slide horizontally [if and when it isn't rusted solid like Pinto style actuators], so the pads are tapered so that they can wear in to the horizontal when they need replacement. Suggestion, use an old [soft] toothbrush to wipe the brake dust off the boot on the piston before pressing it in, this is all you have for retraction, no retract springs. Done carefully, your Lockheed disc brakes are very long life units.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/21221-411-brakes-help/

Edited by MikeRL411