74 620 Prerunner

JWK5150

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work, this is one of my favorite trucks :)

I fixed your picture link. I tried to post more from your flicker account, but they are copyrighted. You can edit your post to see what I did to get the picture to work, you might have to flip the little lightswitch icon up on the left of the edit window to see the html code.

Edit: They are toyota fiberglass fenders if I am not mistaken.

what kind of fenders did you put on it? and what did you get the front rotors off of? i have so many questions about this truck, because the guys i bought it from didnt know anything about it. but they let it get trashed :( i look at these pics and it is really clean!

It is actually a 79 datsun 620 longbed, came with disc brakes, L20, 5 speed. I swapped the VIN to make it pre-smog. About 2 years after it was built I had carburetor issues and it wouldn't smog. Had that downdraft weber so I threw it on and registered it in Marysville (parents house no smog). Then when it came time to sell I found a junked truck, registered it, swapped VIN's and took the other truck to the junk yard.

Those are custom 6 inch bulge fiberglass fenders from a 79-83 toyota 4x4 pickup.

My buddy was driving across the desert in LA to pick up some fiberglass and found a guy that made these. I happened to be at a junkyard in Sac with my lowered long bed 620 with no fenders when he called and told me to hold a 79-83 4x4 fender up to the truck at one of the wrecking yards. I did and the rest was history. I had to build a prerunner!!

We used the torsion bar part of the lower control arm because at the time I couldn't afford coilovers. The shock tabs are welded into the cage and control arm so all you have to do is buy coilovers, bolt them up and remove the torsion bars. GOOD TO GO!

I don't think I have other pics but I will check.

I jumped it ONCE and have a video. I will try to locate it. I got it 4 feet in the air over some railroad tracks. I didn't jump it more because the cage was never finished and I didn't want to bend the frame. When I sold it all that was needed is the cab to be caged and tied into the engine cage. Not sure where it is now.

Seeing those pics I miss it sooo much. It was pretty scary to drive on the street though because of the torsion bar setup.

stock gears when i had it and stock engine with smog crap on it. Boy was that thing gutless. I had to draft semi's on the freeway just to pass them. Now that it's a 74 you should build a crazy motor with some horsepower.........