Project 610 SSS

Guest jaimesix

Carburetion set up for this L20B engine.  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Carburetion set up for this L20B engine.

• Single Sidedraught 40 Dellorto on Lynx Manifold.
    • Single Downdraught Weber 38 DGES on Canon Manifold.

Guest jaimesix
Nice wheel and tire combo. I want to see these on the car!!!

x2 and i would go downdraft

I hear you guys. I will start with the DGES 38, which is a great carburetor. Later on, after driving for a while with the 38, I will give the sidedraught a try, to feel the difference between a sidedraught 40 and a downdraught 38.

Wheels on the car......yes, I am as anxious as you guys.

Jaime.________________________________________________

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jaimesix

Here a pix of some of the progress, new suspension and steering components.

New Lower Ball Joints and Steering Links:

23284290359_large.jpg

Jaime._______________________________________________________

Guest jaimesix
bitchin man it makes me wonder who will get theres on the road first you or me lol keep it up

Hey bro, I do not know which car will make it first, but we are close to getting there.

The good thing is that we will have 2 more cool 610s on the road to expand the list of cool Datsun models so we can show enthusiasts that datsun is about variety, and what a cool variety there is!

Hope to have Zerows ready too, the first cool sedan 610 that California, and perhaps the entire US will see!.

Keep it up, let's make it happen!

Jaime._________________________________________________________

Car is looking nice. I'm looking forward to seeing it with the widened steelies on it. Those wheels make me want to get a set for myself! Very cool.

Also, I am the one person who voted for the sidedraught with the lynx manifold. I like those lynx manifolds and it's something you don't see much. Plus, I bet it would make more power and sound better than the downdraught. Regardless, this car will be cool once it is all back together. Keep up the good work!

Guest jaimesix
Car is looking nice. I'm looking forward to seeing it with the widened steelies on it. Those wheels make me want to get a set for myself! Very cool.

Also, I am the one person who voted for the sidedraught with the lynx manifold. I like those lynx manifolds and it's something you don't see much. Plus, I bet it would make more power and sound better than the downdraught. Regardless, this car will be cool once it is all back together. Keep up the good work!

Hi Duke.

Thanks for your comments. Steelies are cool. An extra set for your 510 would be great. Give them a try. I will have more wheel photos soon.

About the sidedraught Dellorto, I like it myself too. Never having used either the 38 DGES nor the Dellorto 40 , it will be interesting to test them on the same engine and find out the pros and cons of each set up. I have used the 32/36 progressive DGEV Weber downdraught, but I have not used the 38 simultaneous 38 DGES Weber downdraught before.

My plan is to drive the car with the 38 downdraught initially, later on after a few months, I will swap to the Dellorto to get a true feel of the change.

I was fortunate to find one of those single sidedraught Lynx manifolds, which have cross flow, supposed to be the best sidedraught manifold available for L series. There is no cross flow Lynx manifold for a dual set up.

I plan to add a mild/street cam to the L20B. Should be a fun package.

Here a few photos.

25327620139_large.jpg

25327620138_large.jpg

25327620140_large.jpg

Guest jaimesix
well whichever setup you dont use jamie i would be willing to take it off your hands :D anything is better then the stock mani and stock hitachi

Bonvo.

I plan on using one unit in the 610, the other in the 710 ( which I will begin working in later after the 610 is ready.)

Good offers come about all the time on e/bay for Weber carburetors. A stock Hitachi in good condition is very good carburetor. How was Shelly's carburetor before the accident happened?

Jaime.________________________________________________________

Bonvo.

I plan on using one unit in the 610, the other in the 710 ( which I will begin working in later after the 610 is ready.)

Good offers come about all the time on e/bay for Weber carburetors. A stock Hitachi in good condition is very good carburetor. How was Shelly's carburetor before the accident happened?

lol i kinda figured thats what you were doing :P the stock hitachi on shelly was junk it was literally falling apart it will work for now im actually considering getting the 4bbl intake and a holly 390 from jegs

Guest jaimesix
lol i kinda figured thats what you were doing :P the stock hitachi on shelly was junk it was literally falling apart it will work for now im actually considering getting the 4bbl intake and a holly 390 from jegs

Bonvo.

The 4 barrel is a cool carb, but gas mileage can suffer greatly. The Hitachi I had on my 610 was excellent. It has been sitting next to my car , so it would need cleaning, but other than that it was working great.

I have cleaned several carbs in the past with great results. Forget about the lazy "carb kit" which is nothing more than a float, top reservoir gasket and piston/plunger for the accelerator pump. A good work consists of dissassembling the carb completely as posible and dipping the non plastic/rubber containing parts in carburetor cleaning acid.

The results are astounding. My old Subaru Brat run like it did when it left the Subaru dealer after a carb cleaning of this kind.

If you ever need it, let me know, I can send you my Hitachi. My car was automatic originaly, but the carburetor difference between auto and manual transmission carburetor is negligible.

Like I said, it has been sitting under my car, and occassional rain fell on it.

No charge to the calling party!:) Just pay for the shipping if needed.

Bonvo.

The 4 barrel is a cool carb, but gas mileage can suffer greatly. The Hitachi I had on my 610 was excellent. It has been sitting next to my car , so it would need cleaning, but other than that it was working great.

I have cleaned several carbs in the past with great results. Forget about the lazy "carb kit" which is nothing more than a float, top reservoir gasket and piston/plunger for the accelerator pump. A good work consists of dissassembling the carb completely as posible and dipping the non plastic/rubber containing parts in carburetor cleaning acid.

The results are astounding. My old Subaru Brat run like it did when it left the Subaru dealer after a carb cleaning of this kind.

If you ever need it, let me know, I can send you my Hitachi. My car was automatic originaly, but the carburetor difference between auto and manual transmission carburetor is negligible.

Like I said, it has been sitting under my car, and occassional rain fell on it.

No charge to the calling party!:) Just pay for the shipping if needed.

i may take you up on that jamie i rebuilt it with a carb kit but i let it soak in chem dip for 2 days completly disasembled before i reasembled mine runs great its just the screws that hold tha base to the bottom of the carb keep backing out i had to put buly locktight on them to stop this and im going 4bbl for a secret project im planning :D

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jaimesix
i may take you up on that jamie i rebuilt it with a carb kit but i let it soak in chem dip for 2 days completly disasembled before i reasembled mine runs great its just the screws that hold tha base to the bottom of the carb keep backing out i had to put buly locktight on them to stop this and im going 4bbl for a secret project im planning :D

Try using lock washers.

I will get some photos this weekend. Going to visit Zerow's hideout.

Jaime._____________________________________________________

Guest jaimesix

Cool!!!:cool:

Courtesy of Zerow, now I have the right sway bar brackets for the one inch performance sway bar ( front ). His donor 610 car came fitted with a performance sway bar and these brackets.

Do not look like anything special, but the angle and position these brackets take against the tension rod brackets made it tricky. I checked Energy Susppension brackets before, apparently I did not see the complete list of brackets, the ones I purchased months ago would had needed extensive modification, these ones ( Zerow purchased a brand new set that will only need minor trimming ) fit very well, neither slotting needed nor welding additional metal.

This week, my 610 will sit on the ground....common baby...show me that mean stance!!!!:D

23284290368_large.jpg

23284290369_large.jpg

Next, bumpers powder coated, as well as bumper brackets.

23284290367_large.jpg

Got a great gasoline/fuel filter. It has a larger element, and it is replaceable. The advantage, aside from having a larger element, is the fact that at time of changing filters, one can actually see what is in the filter.... so if the gas tank is going nuts, or if there is funny stuff, it can be addressed before it cloggs down the fuel system.

23284290365_large.jpg

23284290364_large.jpg

23284290366_large.jpg

This is the shrine..... Datsun Gods are protecting my rides.....I have their approval!!!

23284290370_large.jpg

At the junk yard I found this cool plastic dealer plate behind the license plate!!! Unfortunately , the previous person visiting this Datsun 710 at the yard pulled the license plate and bent it, breaking the plastic plate off!:(

I rescued what was left, "Dick Barbour Datsun" of Cypress, CA!!!!

Anybody has any knowledge of this dealer???

23284290371_large.jpg

This week I will follow up with more progress.:)

Guest jaimesix

Just to compare, stock sway bar brackets vs one inch bar brackets.

23284290368_large.jpg

23284290369_large.jpg

23284290296_large.jpg

I will not have to use these small bushings that were really close to the brackets, leaving little clearance between bar and brackets when using the stock brackets with the one inch bar.

23284290253_large.jpg

Difference between bars.

23284290288_large.jpg

Cool!!!:cool:

Courtesy of Zerow, now I have the right sway bar brackets for the one inch performance sway bar ( front ). His donor 610 car came fitted with a performance sway bar and these brackets.

Do not look like anything special, but the angle and position these brackets take against the tension rod brackets made it tricky. I checked Energy Susppension brackets before, apparently I did not see the complete list of brackets, the ones I purchased months ago would had needed extensive modification, these ones ( Zerow purchased a brand new set that will only need minor trimming ) fit very well, neither slotting needed nor welding additional metal.

Jaime,

You are most welcome. The "garage of the resurrection" is a highly guarded secret, lets keep it as such. I would have shown you the secret parts stash, but a lot of it remains secret, even to me.

After you left, I took some time and got the brackets modded, and test fitted. No questions, no problems. A little bit of footwork found brand new universal product. We should tell others....

...Nah...:D

Guest jaimesix
Jaime,

You are most welcome. The "garage of the resurrection" is a highly guarded secret, lets keep it as such. I would have shown you the secret parts stash, but a lot of it remains secret, even to me.

After you left, I took some time and got the brackets modded, and test fitted. No questions, no problems. A little bit of footwork found brand new universal product. We should tell others....

...Nah...:D

By no means Zerow, the resurrection garage is top secret.:cool:

Any information learnt or gathered while visiting your headquarters shall be deemed top secret, and any disclosure, discovery or unathorized transfer of said information shall become breach of covenant and shall be punished by penalties that range from severance away from the Datsun 610 Secret Society and torture in order to obtain lost/unauthorized disclosed information all the way to submission of the offending party ( ies ) to the " National Rendition Program " as set forth by Dick Cheney and his cronies for avowal of disclosure and debriefing of said offending parties .:)

That is stipulation and no party can defease this code as set forth within the statute of the "Datsun 610 Secret Society" unilaterally.

Submitted.;)

Guest jaimesix

Today I had a short work load. So I took some time to dismantle the license plate fixture for powder coating.

Yes, I already got the bumpers done, but I could not find this license plate fixture until I went through my stash of parts! I thought I lost it, :eek: cool thing I did not!:)

I also took the valve cover for powder coating. It will be satin black color, same texture as top guns use nowadays. Chrome and glossy colors look nice, but glossy colors and specially chrome is a terrible choice for valve covers, that gloss does not allow transfer of temperature, trapping the heat inside the valve cover.

Flat and semi flat colors are the best choice if performance as well as looks is sought.

These are photos of the license plate lamps parts as found upon disassembly. Note the rubber gaskets as in top mint shape, that is a lucky strike!

23284290372_large.jpg

23284290373_large.jpg

23284290375_large.jpg

23284290376_large.jpg

The bumpers are dark silver ( they call it "Naval Grey" ) , the license plate light fixture will be satin black for nice contrast.:)

Jaime.__________________________________________________________

By no means Zerow, the resurrection garage is top secret.:cool:

Any information learnt or gathered while visiting your headquarters shall be deemed top secret, and any disclosure, discovery or unathorized transfer of said information shall become breach of covenant and shall be punished by penalties that range from severance away from the Datsun 610 Secret Society and torture in order to obtain lost/unauthorized disclosed information all the way to submission of the offending party ( ies ) to the " National Rendition Program " as set forth by Dick Cheney and his cronies for avowal of disclosure and debriefing of said offending parties .:)

That is stipulation and no party can defease this code as set forth within the statute of the "Datsun 610 Secret Society" unilaterally.

Submitted.;)

Well said...:D

Guest jaimesix

Hey Zerow.

What' cha think about the bumpers ... seems not many 610ers around, my thread feels like a monologue!! LOL.

I do not really care, I have fun with my car!... but it is nice to get some feedback.

This is a one man show:lol:

Hey Zerow.

What' cha think about the bumpers ... seems not many 610ers around, my thread feels like a monologue!! LOL.

I do not really care, I have fun with my car!... but it is nice to get some feedback.

You know I like chrome. Deep down, I guess I'm a lemming (oooh shiny...)

I was under the impression that you were powdercoating them black. Are you matching the color on the J-lines for contrast??

23284290376_large.jpg

I'm shocked how well sealed those stayed over all that time. I never out of like 20+ s30s owned or parted found a set that well preserved on the inside.

I voted for the side drought. I'm partial to duel but that manifold its lovely looking.

Guest jaimesix
You know I like chrome. Deep down, I guess I'm a lemming (oooh shiny...)

I was under the impression that you were powdercoating them black. Are you matching the color on the J-lines for contrast??

I was going to go black on the bumpers, but before going that dark, wanted to test dark grey. I thought black might be a little too strong, since the grille is factory grey.

I tried the 74 bumpers I got powder coated in black a couple years ago ( never used them, my car was bumper less.) against the orange and decided to try this Naval Grey. There was an even darker grey, "Graphite", but it was almost black, so I opted for the "Naval Grey". Let's see how it ends up against the finished body.

The J lines should be grey ( same as bumpers ) but I have not yet tossed the coin, I might go satin black on them. I am not decided on that...sunny day...grey!....cloudy day...black!:rolleyes:

Bumper brackets are black.

I'm shocked how well sealed those stayed over all that time. I never out of like 20+ s30s owned or parted found a set that well preserved on the inside.

I voted for the side drought. I'm partial to duel but that manifold its lovely looking.

I was surprised myself. Pretty cool huh? As I opened the assembly I was expecting a rusted out reflector and stuff. :eek: Not a chance, Datsun did a great job in designing these license plate lamps.

The rubber seals are in top condition. No silicone, nothing but good screws/bolts. I am powder coating all the parts except for the reflectors, I will throughly clean them and paint them with POR-15 to the edge of the reflectors.

The condition of the bulb sockets is excellent. Not only the rubber seals for the lenses, but the rubber boots/seals for the wiring worked perfectly.

I will get some photos of the powder coated parts later on for comparison.

About the sidedraught/downdraught deal, yes, I like dual set ups too. Since I do not have a full peped engine, I thought about a single sidedraught set up. Then I learnt that the single sidedraught "Lynx" manifold is a cross flow design. The dual sidedraught Lynx is not a cross flow design, so I figured a single sidedraught on a cross flow manifold would be sweet!

My plan is to use the downdraught 38 for starters, later on add a cam...then add the sidedraught set up. I want to feel the change rather than drop it all in there and never having been able to tell the difference.

Thanks for voting, I want to be able to post comments about how different these two good set ups behave. That will be interesting.

Jaime._______________________________________________________________________________

Edited by jaimesix
adding comments about carb set ups.
Guest jaimesix

Here a couple shots at my rear wheels/tires as I had before the paint work. The wheels are the same as the ones previously showed after powder coating. ( 14 X 8 )

In this photos I have 205/60/14 tires. With lowering, the top of the tire will sink in a bit, due to camber, making it more interesting.

I had beautty rings ( painted in black ) on the wheels. I am debating about using them again. I like the looks, but they scratch the wheel pretty bad upon mounting them ( ring on wheel.)

Here a couple shots.

W/O Ring.

23284290063_large.jpg

With Ring.

23284290065_large.jpg

Hey Zerow.

If this was a 510 it would be blowing up! This 610 is going to be one of the best 610 out there i love it. I always wanted a orange 610 no chrome all blacked out that's why i like yours. 510 guys just can see past 510:fu: but it's ok more for us! keep it up. I'm about to start my build on my 710 I have bunch of parts ready to throw on it like the wheels that i just bought some SSR MKII cant wait they get here today:lol

If this was a 510 it would be blowing up! This 610 is going to be one of the best 610 out there i love it. I always wanted a orange 610 no chrome all blacked out that's why i like yours. 510 guys just can see past 510:fu: but it's ok more for us! keep it up. I'm about to start my build on my 710 I have bunch of parts ready to throw on it like the wheels that i just bought some SSR MKII cant wait they get here today:lol

Its not like its just a style thing you know. I NEVER seen one on the east coast driving or for sale even in datsun heaven (cali/wash) they are rare. Where as I have seen many 510's and on the west coast lets face it, they aren't that hard to find. Then if you do find a 610 god forbid you need a part. Look how much trouble some other member owners are going through with what would be a cut and dry things had it been another car. Not everyone is down for the adventure.

I love the 610, just giving perspective.