510 Coil Over Conversion Front ( Ground Control)

DatsunMod

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone now a link where I can find out how to correctly modify a pair of 280 z struts to fit the ground control coil kit

280Z struts will not work in a 510 ....... .. however 79-83 280ZX struts will work after modifying them for coilovers

....... are they 280Z struts??? ..... or 280ZX struts???

does anyone know the measurements where to cut?

DatsunMod,

Check your set-up before cutting your strut tubes.

Do a test fit WITHOUT the springs. You may find that you don't need to cut the tube to get the ride height you want.

With the car sitting at ride height you want the strut travel to be half way between fully extended and hitting the bump stops. Also check that your tires are not hitting the chassis before the strut hits the bump stop. You want to have as much suspension travel as your strut can give you (somewhere around 6").

If you shorten the strut without checking this there is a good chance you will end up with little to no droop travel and extra suspension travel you can never use because the tire is hitting the inner fender before the strut hits the bumpstop.

I lowered an S10 pick-up never checking the travel. In hard corners it would lay the tire onto the inner fender before it got close to hitting the bump stops. At times it would hit so hard it would actually smoke the tire and yank the steering wheel a good quarter turn.

Lots of fun when you are doing 70 thru a turn in traffic and hit a bridge joint!

so whats confusing?

These two are saying there's no need to cut 280ZX struts... you'd pretty much have to be running stock height to not blow shocks if you don't cut the struts...

I guess I'm just assuming anyone who goes through the trouble of swapping to 280ZX struts will also go with new, aftermarket inserts lol

• Like 1

to get the car to a lower ride height its not required to shorten the struts, i put spacers at the bottom oif my inserts to maintain travel. the 280zx struts are already 2" shorter than the 510 struts and with coil overs can get the car plenty low

the cilovers are close to the top of the collars,

DSCN0087.jpg

These two are saying there's no need to cut 280ZX struts... you'd pretty much have to be running stock height to not blow shocks if you don't cut the struts...

I guess I'm just assuming anyone who goes through the trouble of swapping to 280ZX struts will also go with new, aftermarket inserts lol

For day to day driveability ...... I feel like my shortened 510 struts with MR2 inserts are too short ,,,, ,, they were way too low in my wagon even raised all the way

for a 510 it's "okay" .... as long as you want stiff springs and a LOW ride height ,,, ,,, , if I was driving across country I would want it higher than the coils can go

.........I did alot of driving on these coilovers raised all the way up,,,,, ,, but they "feel" better when lowered at least an inch

The most fun I've had daily-ing a 510 was with stock struts,,, and better springs only lowered one inch front and rear from stock .... with 205/60/13 tires it was like a dirt rally car,, and even better on pavement

I think it all depends on where you put the spring perch. Just a couple months ago I redid a set of 280ZX struts for my 510. Right now I have the springs preloaded at full droop (which is why the ride quality is amazing) and I can lower the coilovers to the point where the car is completely undriveable.

Guest LoneWolf

Hey guys, I thought if you were doing a 280zx strut swap into a 510 that shortening(cutting) will NOT be needed becase the 280ZX struts are already a little lower(variable like what type of inserts)...and I have heard that your inner brake pad will wear out alot quicker... not sure...but I've read that by installing the 280ZX struts on opposite sides(left side on right, and right on left) will correct that problem... but I still liked reading this thread(blog)...planning on doing this upgrade on my 510.