FS5W63A transmission

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These are really old oics from NWDE days. Sorry 1st and rev are in the tailstock.

trans1shiftrodsdoglegZseries.jpg

71B on left dogleg on right. (note the bottom counter bearing on the dogleg is much smaller than the B.

trans280anddoglegonright.jpg

The 71 on the FS5W71B, and 63 on the FS5W63A is the distance between the main and countershaft in mm. Naturally the larger the distance the larger the bearings and gears you can use to support the torque transmitted.

yea this is the 5 speed ive got in my 720. i pulled out my speedo cog today and the plastic gear was worn and shredded. i can put my finger up inside the tranny and the one gear moves back n forth and spins freely

Might be the reverse idler. Put in reverse and see if it moves easily then.

You have the light duty FS5W63A in a 720??? a Z24 stump pulling torque monster?//

Has to be 26" long (plus or minus) and for a 720 2wd. Yes the driveshaft will work . The spline is the same. Your 720 rear transmission mount may have been modified to fit the dogleg so it may need to be changed back to properly fit the 71B.

Just to be clear you do have a Z24 motor correct?

Your dogleg is 26" long?

Wow that will take all night. There are three different gear sets for the 71B (wide, mid and close ratios) and with overdrives ranging from 14-26%

There are at least two gear sets roughly similar to the mid and close ratio sets on the 71B and with overdrives from 26-31%. These overdrives reflect the more powerful motors used that can handle them. I don't have all of them and there could very well be more.