What coil to use.

lostokyo

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Accel 8145C I believe is what I used.

Worked great, was for Breakerless Electronic ignitions. As I said, did not run a ballast. I removed it because it ran like butthole with it attached, so I yanked it. The electronic dizzy made a hell of a difference, but that coil brought that L20B of mine to life in higher RPM's. Of course I had a stock coil that was seeping oil. Either way it was like $15 more for the Accel so I went for it. Looked good too.

Yeah, the impedance does make a difference, so the right aftermarket coil for the car is crucial...even with the right coil, I am a fan of factory or OEM supplied(Hitachi,ect) coils. I am running Pertronix coils myself, and the only reason is cause they were cheaper. They do fire hot, but it has no noticeable effect on HP, it just munches through caps and rotors faster.

I believe my coil was .7 Ω. Believe that was the difference between EI and Points ignitions.

Been awhile since I looked everything up, but the .7 Ω is off of the Summit website.

I only opted for the spendier chrome version because at the time, my engine bay was pretty clean, and I wanted something shiny.

The chrome coil looked best and it worked great.

Polished-1.jpg