Fender Seals

Jphooten

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I posted up about this a while ago, I ended up trying to use a bicycle tube with not very good results. Figbucks idea is the best I have seen so far but I didn't want to buy a 4ft x 4ft peice of rubber to just use an inch strip from it. I may end up buying a sheet anyways. :lol:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/40981-fender-to-body-seal/

I must have pulled thirty or forty fenders only to find that 'gasket thing' in pieces or completely disintegrated.

My solution was to cut a strip of polyvinyl sheeting that they use for tile shower pans. I applied it with contact cement. It replaced the stock plastic pieces that isolated the fender from the wheel wells. You can buy it by the foot at home depot or any plumbing supplier. Because I am OG Ratsun... I got mine out of a dumpster on a construction site.

f12ce69a.jpg

I cut them a little big so that I can slip the fender on and it will bend the gasket over sealing the joint at the top of the wheel well.

5dae833b.jpg

I applied some stick on noeprene foam insulation to replace what was on there. This will keep the fender from rattling agianst the cab. Notice after I primed and shot one coat of paint... I hosed on rubberized undercoat.

029100c0.jpg

When I finally got my truck all back together and drove it for the first time, I went over speed bums on our street and the truck went thump... like it was all in one piece... not creak sqeek click blam rattle. The only other tip I have is to put grease or anti-seize compound on the bolts so if you ever have to pop the fenders off it will help. Specially the bolt that fastens at the bottom of the fender where water draining from the plenum tends to freeze them in rust.

66b62d56.jpg

Ooh no! I just painted my truck and it was rusted out along the top where the gasket contacts the fender so after I got New fenders I assembled it without the gasket. Is it going to make a bunch of racket now? I don't want to put a wrench on my pretty fender bolts.

Ooh no! I just painted my truck and it was rusted out along the top where the gasket contacts the fender so after I got New fenders I assembled it without the gasket. Is it going to make a bunch of racket now? I don't want to put a wrench on my pretty fender bolts.

Probably. You got metal to metal. That gasket was there for a reason.

Damn,I can remember buying them brand new from the dealer. I shoulda bought a bunch of them. Who knew?

Probably. You got metal to metal. That gasket was there for a reason.

Damn,I can remember buying them brand new from the dealer. I shoulda bought a bunch of them. Who knew?

I thought there was a 1/8 inch gap between the fender and the inner metal no?

• 3 years later...

The more dampening you can add, the better! Big reason modern cars are so much more quiet than the old guys. 

I have been looking for some of these seals. Guess I'll try the trick Figbuck did. I like the dampening between the cab and fender as well.