Merlin's trucks- the 521

merlin

Never started a build thread on my 521, but I'm running into issues, so.. better late than never.

Picked it up in Princeton BC september 2010. its a 1970 all stock except forthe fuel pump and the boat tank in the back.

IMG_2069.jpgIMG_2070.jpgmy521-3.jpg

Put a set of whitewalls on it...

IMG_0258.jpg

pulled the IMG_0521.jpg

very tired L16....

dropped in the l20b and 5 speed out of this beast...

IMG_2702-1.jpg

... and now it sits in my garage as i try and get it to fire...

New parts- all new gaskets, GM HEI, Blaster 2 coil, Weber 32/36, New clutch pack and Slave

, Coker Whitewalls, Thai bumperettes.

revived stock fuel pump, reconditioned alternator and Starter 620 bench. Roadster hubcaps.

The problem now is that I've changed too many things at once... got the Coil and wiring sorted today... and then realized that the timing was 180 out.

She cranks, pops and shoots flames, but won't catch... am pouring in gas through the carb... haven't adjusted the weber yet at all... I thought they came set to somehere in the middle?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 510kamikazifreak

Yup......good thing I never did it.

Looked like a 30+ year old plug......the 3 others were NGK

Good thing!

Going to have to pull the head off,Or drill and easy out while on?

i popped the head off and drilled it most of the way out...

I have a feeling it will be a drill out and retap to something slightly bigger. I'll do the ratsun glory hole search for help.

I'm going to get a couple of taps tomorrow while I'm on the coast checking out the Patrol Hoarde!!!

Yup, we go tomorrow.. the bad news is that I talked to Ross at Sports Imports today, who actually knows about the owner of the hoard- His wife/GF is related to him somehow i think- and he says the guy is not that likely to part with them cheap... and Ross says, next to the roadster, Patrol parts are pretty much the hardest/most expensive to deal with. Ross wouldn't pay anything near the current asking price.

The junk yard guy sent me the Dat signal yesterday... 1970 521 came in. Got a good grille, chrome trim, saveable bumper, good windshield,... Lots of bits and pices for $200 bucks... Oh did i mention the straight hood, fuel sender, and clean later tailights? SCORE!

The junk yard guy sent me the Dat signal yesterday... 1970 521 came in. Got a good grille, chrome trim, saveable bumper, good windshield,... Lots of bits and pices for $200 bucks... Oh did i mention the straight hood, fuel sender, and clean later tailights? SCORE!

Dat signal from........Nelson?