timing - trouble shooting.

AtomChurch

The screw driver will get you close but you should set the pulley mark at the O on the timing scale. #1 cam lobes @ 10 and 2 o'clock? Loosen distributor and take distributor cap off. Turn distributor till the #1 wire on the cap is directly over the rotor end.

Was the cam changed? are the valves set or too tight?

Check that ALL wires go to the right plugs. Do it again because this sounds like something simply overlooked.

When you said 10 and 2 oclock. Do mean the first lobe is 2 and the second one is at 10 oclock. This is if you are in front of your engine and your looking at it.

The 11.28 is supposedly 11.25, I found a reference to my old skool L16 book, it reference a position like a clock as you look at it.

The rotor end should be the metal piece so that it makes contact with the distributor metal contact is copper in some. And does this have to be directly in line cuz mine is a little off.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I found the same 11.25 thing in my book as well and I was wondering if there was a reason someone started saying 11.28.

mine is a little off too but the most important part is that it lines up with a a wire for the number one cyl. plug.

and if its pretty close you can adjust the dist. by loosening the little 10mm bolt on it and turning the dist.

on the L20 I have the little rod thing for the dist. has two markings and so you have to be sure to get the right on matched up with the oil pump. the smaller half circle goes toward the radiator.

don't mean to hijack this post but I got my L18 running. Thanks to all who help, a big help from Hainz video and also received your CD, I will mail check and gift to you soon.

Car runs good, good oil pressure, no leaks, had minor water leak but fixed that. Will be checking torque head specs soon as with valve lash.

If anyone has a speedo cable for L16 I would appreciate that.

RacerX