my carb

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

okay details.

my 73 datsun 620 has had its carb rebuilt. any way. long story short. im an idiot. i had about a quarter of 87 octane in my gas tank. and i put some 91 octane in it. (i know stupid move. idk why i did that) it ran smooth till ten mns later i heard the carb back fire. but the truck still turns on. so idk if it just needs a deep clean or something. or another rebuid? please help its my only and daily driver thank you .

okay details.

my 73 datsun 620 has had its carb rebuilt. any way. long story short. im an idiot. i had about a quarter of 87 octane in my gas tank. and i put some 91 octane in it. (i know stupid move. idk why i did that) it ran smooth till ten mns later i heard the carb back fire. but the truck still turns on. so idk if it just needs a deep clean or something. or another rebuid? please help its my only and daily driver thank you .

There's nothing wrong with mixing octanes. It just lowers the overall rating, meaning you had around 89 octane in your tank. I don't see why that would cause any issues.

Have you replaced fuel filters and pumps?

okay details.

Who rebuilds fuel pumps??????????? I know it can be done but a new Datsun aftermarket pump is 30-35$ Make sure to use the plastic spacer inbetween the pump and the head.

octane ??????? cant believe you ask this question. Gas is gas but 91 is better

You ck the timming on this?

You have a timming light?

Shoot carb cleaner thru the carb while its running, maybe this helps. Maybe its a last resort type of thing before looking in to other stuff.

Ck the spark plugs? They look good????

wires all tight on coil and or ballast resisitor?

If you have a Weber car on this it might have RUN ON(desiel) then you shut the key off. 91 will try to prevent this . Later Datsuns on the stock carb had a anti desieling selenoid to prevent this but later when these carbs wore out a Weber carb might have been installed and SOME dont have a that selinoid installed thus it can have run on. Just pop the clutch in gear and motor will stop. some time if man choke pull the choke and then shut off. Or press the gas a lttle to open the butterfly more,thus reducing the vaccum,when turning the key off all might help

You are an idiot.

Your truck should run on regular. Waste of money to buy more octane... these engines won't give you increased performance that you can measure.

Worse, you have no idea how your vehicle works. That is simple ignorance. There is nothing wrong with that. We are all, or have been ignorant about something. Stupidity is not excusable.

I clicked on this when it first popped up and just laughed.

But since some of the OG Ratsunista have bothered to respond to you at all, shows you that as an idiot you are right at home here. Welcome to Ratsun...

Now get a camera and start posting up OICS.

Then start reading. Figure out how to use the search function, go through all the Sticky Posts and educate yourself, so you can ask half-assed intelligent questions. Otherwise, you know what kind of answers you get with stupid questions?? I'm assuming you know how to read... you can barely write... so maybe I'm the idiot for ASS YOU Ming.

There is a book called;

HOW TO KEEP YOUR L SERIES//Z SERIES DATSUN NISSAN ALIVE

Maintenance & Repair 1968-1986 510, 610, 710, 521. 610, 620, 720 Cars and Trucks

It was written by Colin Messer and published by Johm Muir Publications... the same people that put out THE IDIOT'S GUIDE TO VWs.

This is the Idiot's Guide to Datsuns... they wrote this book for you my brotha!!!

Now the book is out of print, it was like $20 when I bought it new fifteen years ago. You can get it on Amazon used for even less. It's not hard to find. Far and away the best "manual" for working on these old vehicles. Chilton's, Haynes and even the Factory Service Manuals suck in comparison.

It's apple and oranges. The Chilton/Haynes photos suck. Messer has brilliant rendered artwork on every page that illustrates exactlywhat you need to know to perform the procedures. Then he tells you how, why and what you need to know, plus what pitfalls are associated with any procedure. The best that Haynes/Chilton can do is... assemble in reverse order of dis-assembly.

I have your truck and I have kept my stock Hitachi working right all these years. Messer's book has great step by step instructions on how to rebuild all the different Hitachi carbs. I bought another carb for $25 off craigslist. It was brand new, because the guy stuck a Weber on it, put the Hitachi in the box and it sat for 25 years. He sold the truck because it was only getting 15MPH... It hauled ass though, he said.

I sat down and rebuilt both of them, the kits were like $14. My choke works flawlessly and I get good gas milage and performance with stock jets. At the first sign that the carb is not working, I can bolt the other one on in fifteen minutes.

If you have no place to work on your truck, no tools, no stock pile of spare coils, fuel pumps, oil pumps... you get the picture...

reading this book, will at least give you enough knowledge to have an intelligent conversation with a mechanic about your old truck.

It sounds like you have a packed full of crap fuel filter. Did you change it out right off the bat to eliminate that potential condition? I usually buy a couple and keep a new one in the tool box under my seat.

Got to start with the simple fundamental stuff when trouble shooting. Read the book and then get back to us...

good luck.

• Like 1