HELP goon overheats

210 to low

so i just picked up a 72 goon im new to five tens and ratsun but had a twoten till it got rearended

so it over heats really bad and i have kno idea why ive tryed eveything i can think of to fix it

it has a l16 and four speed

tryed taking the thermostat out and made sure its good ..no help back in no change

checked the water pump....works great

changed head gasket....still over heats

bought a aftermarket temp gauge....just tells me what i already kno..

tryed a spare rad i had chiiling in the shop...no change

tryed and electric fan...still get way above 190

no smoke really to speak of and no water in my oil...

heater core dosent leak either.....im lost on whatt it is or waht to try next any help i would be greatful for thank you...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I could think of a few things:

1. You may have some sort of blockage in one of the hoses. You could try flushing out the coolant system with fresh water.

2. You said you made sure the thermostate was good... did you try actually using a new one? Maybe you have a unit with too high of a temp rating.

How did you check the water pump? If you haven't done so, you might take it out and see if the impeller spins on the shaft. Also, check the flow of the radiators. You may have two that are partially blocked. I check them by taking off the lower hose and running a hose in the top. A clear rad will take the full force of a house spigot. Good luck.

Does it run hot around town only... or also out on the highway?

Does it actually boil over or just read hot?

Does it need water added every day, every week?

Feel the bottom hose... is it soft? Rev the motor up and look at it.... does it collapse from the suction?

Do you have the rad shroud on it? This improves the fan efficiency at lower speeds.

Does the fan belt squeak?

Does it run hot around town only... or also out on the highway?

Does it actually boil over or just read hot?

Does it need water added every day, every week?

Feel the bottom hose... is it soft? Rev the motor up and look at it.... does it collapse from the suction?

Do you have the rad shroud on it? This improves the fan efficiency at lower speeds.

Does the fan belt squeak?

belt dosent squeak none of the hoses seem to be soft will re check tho

and no it wont boil over even when it reads around 220 or 230

gets hot everywhere just idling says its hot.....barely looses any water if i dont open the cap whenits cooling down

Well get a hand held digital infra red temperature meter and shoot the thermostat housing. I suspect that it's not running as hot as the meters say.

That was going to be my next things after reading all the replies. It seems like youve gone through all the items to fix the temp, but it still reads hot. It might just be the gauge.

High idle??? Well what have you done lately that might have affected it?

Did you adjust the timing?

timing is right on at 10 btdc it ides super high or i have to keep feeding it gas theres no in between

i dont think ive done anything to affect it

after it runs tho when i go to shut it off the radiatior makes a surgeing sound ???

Your first post didn't mention a high idle so is this something that has just happened?

Is the throttle cable too tight and holding it open?

Is the idle screw turned up too high? Can you turn it down?

Is the choke on? Or is the choke fast idle cam engaged? WD-40 the linkages and work through their full movement to loosen. Hold throttle open when doing this.

Take the air filter off and look down the SECONDARY barrel. Is it closed tight?? Use a flash light to see.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YUR HELP! ...but i stil cant keep it from over heating

ive double checked with a IR temperature meter its as hot as it reads on the gauge

checked the vavles there perfect same with timing idles great now

but wont go ten mins at idle with out over heating

so short of swaping engines im out of ideas still

Do you have a clutch fan? If so can you spin the plastic fan blades easily by hand?

Do you have a fan shroud?

stock four blade fan no shroud to speak of

there can be a clog in your heater core, i blasted mine with a hose and sure enuf about a table spoon of crud came out, and that stuff can make it to your rad. and stop half of the rad. from working

-tendril

i flushed the whole system 3 times...