They call it NASCAR...

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the latch area around the drivers door was thrashed...

1002121211.jpg

so I chopped it out.

1002121219.jpg

and got a good section to replace it with.

1002121211a.jpg

1002121220.jpg

1002121649.jpg

looks like a car again...

1002121707.jpg

toms been working out some of the electrical bugs and I got the doors mounted,

guts all in, door locks, pannels, ect.

1002121807.jpg

1002121807a.jpg

First and foremost, I bought these according to part numbers I found in a DQ article (Im pretty sure thats where anyways). James informed me they're too short, so FML.

IMG_0036-1.jpg

Next I don't have a good camera but I wanted to show James' Tom's and Skib's hard work that made this:

lasvagas11_5520.jpg

into this:

IMG_0032-1.jpg

IMG_0033-1.jpg

IMG_0034-1.jpg

Huge props to The510Keeper. Saved another 510.

• Like 2

I have to admit that I stayed away from this thread because it had the word "NASCAR" in the title.

After reading all this goodness, though, I'm glad I clicked through! Nice car, nice GREAT color, nice teamwork and cooperation.

Could you get the hood struts figured out soon though?

So for the part number: 9416k144 from McMaster you get

5.51" total length with 1.97" stroke which is too short (unless you like hunching under your hood). So don't make my mistake.

I wanna try these 9416K24 @ 8.35" total length and 3.15" stroke...... but I'll wait until I get some approximate lengths from James. People might say "Hey, go get civic hatch struts," but these are cheaper for something new and also you get a choice in pressure. I think the civic hatch struts are ~$20 each, whereas these are $11 each.

I'm thinking 12.5 inches like my cock

Honda ones from the JY are $18.00 but will not hold up a dime hood, as they are OLD

However you can get some from a BMW trunk (newer , less wear) $18.00 and they will hold your shit up yo.

I don't know about the stroke thing, you'll have to talk to Victory about that one :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...

Hey all,

So I bought Nascar a few months ago. I planned to use this as my daily driver, then use it as a project car to learn to tinker with. I have basic mechanical knowledge, and not too much else. I have wanted a 510 since my high school years (my neighbor had one with a small block V-6). So, the time seemed right with me moving back into a house with a 3-car garage. I started by cleaning the trunk and gas tank.

IMG_0938.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

The gas tank had a some rust in it. So I cleaned it with acid, used Marine Clean, then Metal Ready, then sealed it with a POR-15 kit. I think it turned out well, but I managed to lose the pictures of that. After taking care of the inside, I sprayed painted the outside with gloss black using rattle can Rustoleam. 

IMG_0878.jpg

Cleaned the floors with a wire wheel, then treated it with Ospho (a rust converter), then I mixed up some Rustoleam and created a color which I thought was close to the original. Its kind of janky, but I think it looks nice, and its covered now anyways.

IMG_0876.jpg

IMG_0937.jpg

IMG_0936.jpg

Added the Ratsun billet shift knob, and a center console from a Honda Civic. 

This is what it looks like now for the most part. 

IMG_0939.jpg

I also added a hinge to the glove compartment door, and patched a huge square cut in the back of it. Not sure what was there prior, but it had to be fixed. I fiberglassed the rear of it. When it dried, I filled it with dyna hair, then sanded it smooth. I painted it with rattle can black. Of course I lost pictures of the finished product, and I really don't want to take another picture of it. 

IMG_0857-1.jpg

Nascar remained in this state for a while. I did the gas cap/filler next replacement which Triple240z did. It was nice making left turns without gas spilling out of it. I swear I lost more gas out the gas cap than the engine burned. Now comes the big project part of Nascar... the bodywork. As you can see in the first pages, the body of Nascar was rough to say the least. There is huge damage on the RR quarter and there are little to medium sized dings and dents everywhere, and the paint is chipped or flaking off in multiple locations. 

I thought of getting a $400 Maaco paint job, and calling it good. My neighbor talked me into making the body smooth first, then painting it. Thats the route I am going. So lucky me, two neighbors are in the autobody industry. One paints by trade, the other a bodyman/painter. Both have agreed to guide me through and help. So this is where the real work begins. I started three weeks ago, and I swear I am take two steps back every time I think I make progress.

PA070082.jpg

P9300074.jpg

I originally started by stripping to bare metal, using a hammer and dolly to straighten the metal, then covering with bondo and a glaze coat. I realized i wasnt doing too hot of a job with that method, so I decided to start over.

IMG_1145.jpg