distributor issue.

rigo

Hey guys i have a question about the way my distribeutor is falling in place. I got a l20b that im getting ready to start up in my 72 wagon but i ran into a problem. Ive done my engine rebuild pretty much based on a authentic datsun book for the l20b and Hainz video on youtube.. when i got to the distributor installation i see that the crank pulley has to be at 0 (TDC) compression stroke and then you put the oil pump with the dots alligned and when the spline is visible on the distributor end it should be at "11:28" position.. so when i put my distributor i noticed that the distributor rotor doesnt meet with one of the cap points no matter how much i move the distributor back n forth or even messing with the 8mm screw under the distributor.. so my question is, is that normal or is my distributor possibly faulty? Its a dual point l16 distributor. Thanks.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally normal because there are several different base plates. The fix is to drop the oil pump and move the spindle ahead or back a tooth or two. When put back in, the spindle will not be at 11:28 any more but perhaps 11:35 or 11:20 and now the rotor will have moved...perhaps within adjustment range. I admit it's trial and error but when you get it right... it's right.

if your using a L16 distributor there is only one dizzy mount and its a L16 type(not others are like on a L20 dizzys there is 2 version) that I have ever seen. So the rotor should line up on a plug wire and make that #1.

I loosen tthe plate under the dizzy and have the 10mm hold down bolt loose also and crank it till its on the plug wire then adajust the plate so its in a center of the timming travel(slot) so you then can adjust what you need and lock it down. be close to 10 with timming light.

The following pictures may help, but this is a L-16 engine, with an L-20-B "matchbox" distributer.

You are mixing parts off different engines, and I believe thay had number one spark plug wire in different locations on the distributer.

First, decide how you want the distributer located. Put the vacuum diaphram in a location the distributer will fit.

Once that is done, decide where number one spark plug tower is.

P1010401.jpg

First, set the engine where it is going to fire, NOT at TDC. I chose about 12.5 degrees before TDC, number one cylinder.

BTDC125.jpg

Since you are using a point distributer, turn the rotor on the distributer to point at number one tower in the cap. Without turning the distributer rotor, look at the slot on the bottom of the distributer, where the drive goes intoi the distributer. This is where the oil pump drive spindle has to be located, when the drive is installed in the engine. My distributer drive ended up here.

OddSpindleLocation.jpg

This is a L-16 pedestal. I had to modify the l-16 distributor timing plate to make it fit the L-20-B distributer.

Here is a picture of two timing plates, the modified one is on the left.

DistPlates.jpg

There are two bolts that got through this plate. The bolt with a 10 MM head holds the plate to the pedestal. the bolt with the 8 MM head holds the plate to the distributor. You should be able to get the ignition timing close with both bolts close to center in the slots. If you are at the extreme end of the slots, you may be able to get closer to center by turning the oil pump drive spindle one tooth.

The first time I install a distributor, I center the plate on the pedestal, and tighten the 10 MM head bolt. I then get the timing set using adjustment in the slot, with the 8 MM head bolt.