Match box dizzy

73DATSON

What the difference in the matchbox dizzy and a dizzy change to a electric no points? Is the matchbox that much better? What about the coil? I have a 40,000 oil cool coil is that good with a matchbox? Or should I change it too?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i had the stock L20B dizzy with point,changed to pertronix kit. i was thinking of get a matchbox? just want to know if its a bigg difference from the stock electric dizzy?

• Pertronix 1740 Ignitor
  • Pertronix 40511 Flame-Thrower Oil Filled 40kv Coil

OK YOu know what ohm value coil this is.?? They should have sent the 3 ohm one. If your car works right now with it then call it good. I run the Pertronix myself in all 3 o\f my Datsuns and done a Jeep CJ5 also and like them very much. If this is the 3 ohm coil I would run the blk/wht wire and the blk/blu wire to the + side coil. So you make sure you get the 1volts in the start position. I noticed on my car that during START the blk/Wht wire would loose a little voltage. Meaning to you if you have onlky the blk/wht hooked up it might be harder to START. I use the stock wire set up on mine as I use the ballast resisitor in series with the coil. So I assume you pulled the ballast resisitor out since the new coil is a 3 ohmer?

My opinion is that the Pertronix is a good set-up and if it`s working good now you won`t see any difference in installing a matchbox..I have been running a Pertronix in my old 55 ford for about 8 years and not any problems at all.My brother has had a P unit in his 510 for about 4 years,,, I also just installed a unit in my 510 about a month ago and works good.

If the motor starts right up,dist shaft dont wiggle, call it good.

IM not in to the MSD systems as it adds more clutter under the hood. and another link to something that might go bad. for .05 percent hp gain. Some people swear about them.

But if I remeber right on your motor you had a stock L16 cam unless you give soem specifics on it.

MSDs go to 1 spark after 3 k rpms anyway so really it might help the low end.

Unless your running high octane gas as you have those flattops a MSD isn going to help anyway as your be detonating before the MSD even fires

More Power?

KA/SR

then Turbo it.

If your used to new cars this car will never have enough power. Its is 40year old technology. You can only do so much before its a 100$ to 1 hp ratio to get more power out of a L motor.

Jeff Hino on here known as Icehouse when he installed a SR20 in his 510 with slight mods he was getting 185 to like 200 to the ground . This is a modern Turbo motor.

a KA Turbo might be just a little better.

Now imagine what you go to do to put 200hp on a L motor. Its been done and alot of MONEY!!!!!!!!

be honest if you cant get a true 140 RWHP your doing really GOOD!!!!!!!!!120-130 is a nice street motor

200HP L16s are almost Fairy Tales and are not RATSUN owners for the most part.

You don't need a 40K volt coil. Plugs in a regular motor can easily fire with as little as 8K volts at light throttle and about 15K at full. Adding high compression, SC or a turbo can raise the resistance between the plug electrode and ground so that as much as 23K to 25K volts is needed to jump the plug gap. Basically the more air and fuel squashed in there the more voltage needed. Also the plugs never see 40K jumping the gap. Stretch out time and the voltage rise looks like a steep ramp going up and up but at some point the air gap resistance breaks down and the spark arcs across. Once this happens the voltage cannot go higher because this is simply a dead short to ground now. Stock coils are more than adequate for this. Save your money and just paint it red.

Multi-Spark Discharge??? Lets see your spark plug lights the fuel air but you need another spark(s) to light it a second time?? Sounds like snake oil to me. I guess manufacturers have been getting this wrong for decades and should put this on their motors?? Save your money.

Placebo effect: The imagined performance increase is directly proportional to the amount of money spent. Also known as the " it's gotta be better, I spent a lot on it" syndrome.

You don't need a 40K volt coil. Plugs in a regular motor can easily fire with as little as 8K volts at light throttle and about 15K at full. Adding high compression, SC or a turbo can raise the resistance between the plug electrode and ground so that as much as 23K to 25K volts is needed to jump the plug gap. Basically the more air and fuel squashed in there the more voltage needed. Also the plugs never see 40K jumping the gap. Stretch out time and the voltage rise looks like a steep ramp going up and up but at some point the air gap resistance breaks down and the spark arcs across. Once this happens the voltage cannot go higher because this is simply a dead short to ground now. Stock coils are more than adequate for this. Save your money and just paint it red.

Multi-Spark Discharge??? Lets see your spark plug lights the fuel air but you need another spark(s) to light it a second time?? Sounds like snake oil to me. I guess manufacturers have been getting this wrong for decades and should put this on their motors?? Save your money.

Placebo effect: The imagined performance increase is directly proportional to the amount of money spent. Also known as the " it's gotta be better, I spent a lot on it" syndrome.

LOLOLOLOL..... I LOVE THIS FORUM:-)))) u guys make me :-)))) Now i need to :-() kiss the WIFEY AZZZ.... So I can start on my new motor swap!!!!! For next year. I'll drive the car with this new setup then I'll be selling off by the end of the year.