DATTO BREAK DOWN... HELP!!!!

Okay so ive been driving my 1973 datsun 620, rebuilt l16 weber 32/36 progressive 4 speed for some time now, runs like a champ.

I was driving today, came to a stoplight and it died, restarted, and as soon as i was off the gas, died. restarted and drove to a friends house, dying every time i had to brake or stop. Got it to his house, cracked the hood, checked for vacuum leaks and such, didnt see anything stand out. Started truck, was pressing gas and only revved half the time, then the gas pedal would do nothing but i could hear the carb jet... I was confused but i had to get home, i figured it would make it if i stayed on the gas. Made it about 5 mins and it completely broke down, wont start, turns over, thought maybe the fuel sender had broken and maybe i was just out of gas, it fit all the symptoms, (seems id had a half tank for quite some time) so i went and bought a gas can and a few gallons of gas, came back, shot it in, tried to fire it up, no luck.

Was i right and maybe I burned out the fuel pump? It started downpouring and i have work in a few hours so my friend brought me home, and the datto is stuck on the side of the road alone!!! :( I took out my valuables and stereo faceplate, left the doors unlocked so there would be no window smashing, even though its a pretty nice area.

Ideas?? Help!?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So it runs until you stop??

Idle jet!!! Pull and inspect. I had the exact same issue a few weeks ago. A piece of garbage got sucked into my idle jet on the primary and it would not idle for shit.

EDIT: NVM it won't run at all.

Were you able to verify no spark or no fuel?

Edited by metalmonkey47

Not able to verify either sadly, it was late and pouring and i had to get home.

I gotcha dude.

Well... until then on to more info... Points or elec dizzy?

Sucks having to leave the truck behind :( I'm sure she'll be okay though.

Kind of sounds like spark.

Have you replaced the alternator and/or battery?

Both are relatively new.... the first symptom of me dying when not on the gas didn't seem to fit a spark problem, but the non firing when pressing the gas surely did. It turns over, fires and dies, i'm leaning more towards a fuel or fuel pressure issue, but I could be wrong.

I really hope I can fix her on the side of the road, I cant afford a tow truck OR to be out my DD right now, especially if i cant figure out how to fix it myself.

I concur. Sounds like my condenser problems to be honest. My truck ran like shit (if it ran at all.)

th__DSC0146-1.jpg

When you go back, (IF POINTS) go un-plug the condenser completely (not just the little single wire, but un screw it from under the cap too) and see how it runs. If that's it, it will be noticeable. It will run without the condenser. It may not run very well, but it will run.

Next thing to look at is your Weber. 6 screws and a c-clip pull off the top half of the carb and reveal the float bowl and practically every part that can fail.

Edited by metalmonkey47

I concur. Sounds like my condenser problems to be honest. My truck ran like shit (if it ran at all.)

th__DSC0146-1.jpg

When you go back, (IF POINTS) go un-plug the condenser completely (not just the little single wire, but un screw it from under the cap too) and see how it runs. If that's it, it will be noticeable. It will run without the condenser. It may not run very well, but it will run.

th__DSC0146-1.jpg

This would explain all symptoms? From the stalling to non working?

FUEL

Pump the throttle a few times. You should see a squirt of fuel from the accelerator pump if there is gas in the carb. Weak or none it's dry. Float stuck, filter clogged, pump not working, pinched fuel line, tank empty.

SPARK

Pull a plug wire off and stick any old plug or screwdriver in it and lay on the valve cover. Crank it an look for spark. Either there is, or there isn't spark.

Take the dizzy cap off and look. Either points or not. Find out.

FUEL

Pump the throttle a few times. You should see a squirt of fuel from the accelerator pump if there is gas in the carb. Weak or none it's dry. Float stuck, filter clogged, pump not working, pinched fuel line, tank empty.

SPARK

Pull a plug wire off and stick any old plug or screwdriver in it and lay on the valve cover. Crank it an look for spark. Either there is, or there isn't spark.

Take the dizzy cap off and look. Either points or not. Find out.

Yes sir.

Test for spark first.

You can run without a condenser. The points will burn out quicker... like 50-300 miles but this (if this is the problem) will get you home.

Check that the points open about the thickness of your finger nail. Close enough to get you home.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a similar issue in my wagon where it would die at stoplights and occasionally be starved of fuel and die while going down the road. Then, one day, she just stopped running.

Anyways, I found out that my fuel pump had gone bad and it was fairly cheap to get a replacement pump. She ran like new once I replaced the pump.